Another challenge - removing locker lock!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't fit a long nose pair of pliers into the the gap and reach the nut on the end of this lock, so any ideas how to get this lock off??

It's this sort of lock and I need to change it https://www.toolstation.com/cam-lock/p54980

Thanks!

IMG_5076.JPG

Sponsored Links
you mean the square?

use a socket on extension.

Probably a 1/4" or 3/8" set.

ae235

But I don't think the square holds the cylinder in. It may allow you to dismantle the cylinder, removing the plug.

Show us the other side of the door, and a sideways view, and especially the maker's name (may also be on the key).

In your pic I can't see the hex nut that usually clamps the cylinder rose to the door (there is also a U-shaped spring-clip type). There is a chance a box spanner might go in. Do you know what shape the hole is on the other side of the door? it's a metal door, is it? and the door has an inner and an outer skin welded together so the inner skin cannot be removed?

Last edited:
you mean the square?

use a socket on extension.

Probably a 1/4" or 3/8" set.

ae235

But I don't think the square holds the cylinder in. It may allow you to dismantle the cylinder, removing the plug.

Show us the other side of the door, and a sideways view, and especially the maker's name (may also be on the key).

In your pic I can't see the hex nut that usually clamps the cylinder rose to the door (there is also a U-shaped spring-clip type). There is a chance a box spanner might go in. Do you know what shape the hole is on the other side of the door? it's a metal door, is it? and the door has an inner and an outer skin welded together so the inner skin cannot be removed?

I’m not sure what you mean by the square to be honest. I need to remove the lock completely and it looks to me just like a nut that keeps it in place...like the one in the item I’ve got to replace it.

880D6DBD-A857-4EAF-A6D3-067CDA7C214F.jpeg

Problem is that the hole to access is small and the lock itself if quite wide/deep - which I think would prevent a tool like the one @foxhole is suggesting from working.

The other side doesn’t really give much away. Yes, it’s a metal locker.

3406F4C0-B533-4C62-8745-388BA3A77750.jpeg

I’m wondering if a spark plug socket might do the trick...if the size is right and the clearance allows it to fit...

Sponsored Links
In your picture, I can't see the nut.

Can you see it?

I can see a ring but no hex. Can you see a hex?

Or does the ring have a notch?

That looks like a circlip.
Can you see any little wing with holes to expand it and pull out?
Otherwise you need to lift it with 2 small flat screwdrivers.
Than you can replace the lock with whatever fits the hole.

It’s a nut , the socket suggested has thin walls and should fit, the replacement you mention will not fit unless it has two flat sides(.too prevent forced rotation.)

Sorry but I’m not sure what some of these terms mean, such as hex.

Took some ‘better’ pics with the flash on. Looks like a plain nut to me.

743D88DC-B42D-4F1F-84F5-819B98E7E9F4.jpeg

39EA7116-DA06-452B-AF0D-4FFF866955BB.jpeg

E45F38F6-C863-49F1-9BB3-61423CE52DF8.jpeg

It’s a nut , the socket suggested has thin walls and should fit, the replacement you mention will not fit unless it has two flat sides(.too prevent forced rotation.)
Looked up those sockets...not willing to pay £80 for a set for this one job :(

yes, I see the nut now.

I'd expected to see the special washer behind it, shaped to resist twisting of the cylinder
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/hsAAAOSw6o9fbQU0/s-l1600.jpg

The size of the hole in the doorskin facing you will determine if a deep socket or a box spanner will go in. A box spanner is more likely to be long enough. I will try to find a nut and see which spanner size you need.

If you can get the nut to move even an eighth of a turn, it will become loose enough to spin round with a fingertip or a thin tool such as a screwdriver. The nut will not be very tight.

I don't know how thick the door is

you might be able to start it using a long centrepunch and a small hammer

When you replace it, a spring clip will be easier to put on and take off. Like this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cam-Lock...488533?hash=item1f08cab515:g:b8AAAMXQVERSyqFc

or a snap-fix like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snap-Fix...082351?hash=item4d0af185af:g:EuAAAOSwkedeJNyG

"hex" means Hexagon. The shape of the outer edge of the nut, that a spanner grips on.

Attachments

• CamlockWasher.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 196
  • CamlockClip.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks guys, going to order some box spanners.

I appreciate the suggestions for the alternatives too - looks like some good options there.

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back