Another Chimney Breast Removal Question!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologies, yes I have searched but could not fine the exact answer...

We want to extend and remove the rear chimney breast in our semi detatched. However, our neighbours have already done so using a gallows bracket - does this mean we now do not have this option?

I guess the alternatives are expensive steals or to remove the chimney completely from the roof? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I think you should remove it completely as it will serve no purpose anymore.

These works are structural, so you will need to inform bco, gallow brackets are a big no with some local bco.
I would suggest to remove the lot.

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies, it's only since looking on-line that I've learnt you can't have a gallows if your neighbours do - should they have asked us for permission before using one, as they've only done it very recently and they did not let us know beforehand?

My only worry is that they will now say no to removing the stack completly as they've now finished all their building work, which will obviously leave us in a pickle. We do get on well with them but when you start talking builders and removing things people can turn funny quickly.

We live in the Bromley borough so I'll call them and ask.

Thanks again!!

Sponsored Links
Right - spoke to the BI at the council and he has no problems at all with gallows brackets!! Further more he is not concerned if we wish to install one despite next door having already done so!!!

So, we now have 2 choices, remove the stack altogether (if next door agree) or have a gallows installed - what's the best and/or the cheapest option?

Thanks!!!

I dont see the point in propping something up that has had the guts ripped out of it ! take it down, you will sleep better when there is a gale blowing ;)

Best option is talk to your neighbour about removing both his and your chimney..
I dont think you adding gallows as well would be an option and removing your side could cause issues with his..

Either way get an SE involved for recommendations..

Best option is talk to your neighbour about removing both his and your chimney..
I dont think you adding gallows as well would be an option and removing your side could cause issues with his..

Either way get an SE involved for recommendations..

I agree,,, talk to the neighbour.

Also,, how old is the property? What is the condition of the stack.?

I would also get it in writing from the council that 'back to back' gallows brackets are OK, or confirmation from their website. Notwithstanding, considering that you still have to comply with building regs 2000 and a submission is still required, then total removal would be the best option. Party wall act also, no matter what you do, so if you and you neighbour can agree, then this would be the way forward imv.

Hi,

Thanks again for the replies, I think we will talk to next door about removing it altogether, it will be redundant.

Regarding Party Wall agreement, should they have sought this from us before removing the chimney breast their side and installing a gallows bracket, as they didn't!?!

The house is a 1930's semi detatched chalet, the chimney and breast are in ok condition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back