Chimney removal with neighbours chimney breast alreadremoved

M

MattLowe

We're thinking of removing the rear chimney breast at ground and 1st floor of a 1930's end of terrace house. Two chimneys, one in the front room, one in the back rising to merge in the loft.

Unfortunately the neighbour has already removed his chimney in the back room, ground and first floor, supported with timbers in the loft (which can't be legit!).

My questions:

1: Is it still possible to remove the rear chimney breast in our property?
2: Would it be expensive?
3: Where can I get an indication of the detail required? I've found plenty of details on gallows bracket but expect it will involve more than this because the neighbours chimney breast is already removed. Don't worry I'm not planning to build to it, just need an indication (or number of a friendly structural engineer in Merton.
4: Worst case would be to bring the whole chimney down and make good the roof (neighbours willingness required). Is this possible? I haven't seen any other houses where this has been done.

Many thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Why are you posting this Q on here an not in the building forum?

How do you know what your neighbour has done in his loft?

Do you have a copy of a party wall agreement?

If what you say is accurate, then on the face of it - No, you cant remove any of your c/breast. A SE's onsite visit would be req'd to advise you further.

Google almost any London authority eg Harringay.gov for specific details.

Hi, I have just had two chimney breasts removed (terraced house, one in the dining room and the one above it the back bedroom) Neighbour also had their Chimney breast removed downstairs too. Managed to find some great guys who removed them both for £1150 and that included 5 gallow joists (i think that is what they are called!) The job is great, I have tons more space. The only thing they didnt do is to make good the floors and ceilings as they are not joiners! So got to get another team in to do that. Wish I had the skils to do it. So, cost of a skip and Biscuits etc, it all came to £1350. Checekd with the neioghbours after the work had been done and there were no cracks in their walls (Phew)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back