another decking thread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry if been asked a hundred times but not been able to find any clear answers i have been looking for for the last week or so.
the plan is to build some decking 6.1m wide x 3.6m deep with the right hand half being used for a hottub.
What im planning on doing is using 600mm x 100mm x 100mm concrete decking posts spaced at 1.5m on the left hand side and from the centre to the right hand side spaced at 1m.
going to use 150mm x 50m x 1.8m beams spaced as above but with two in the middle to allow the joists to butt up to each other
was going to go for 100mm x 50mm joists spaced at 400mm centres and noggins placed at 600mm centres
would this be good enough for the decking it will be roughly 300mm above the exisiting ground level and will be a standalone deck/decking
this is a sketch im not any good at using paint/gimp so had to revert to pen and paper for a poor quality drawing but it gives you an idea what im on about
thanks

Sponsored Links
Hot tub does not need extra support, they exert similar pounds per square inch as a fridge/freezer as the weight is very evenly distributed.I would even things up to 1200mm centres right across.
Important to remember decking boards ideally run across main walk ways to minimise slipping when wet and with water splashing from hot tub there will be no shortage of water, a diagonal pattern works well but wastes a bit of decking.

thanks for your reply
so ill put all the posts in at 1.2m centres I take it the 6x2's are fine as beams - realised i made a mistake earlier and put 1.8m instead of 3.6m beams Then double up where ever the 4x2's meet so they are supported.
So for the 4x2's it would be best to put them at 45 degrees from the front face and make up a couple of frames instead of just putting them straight down at 90 degrees from the front face.
Then finally putting the decking down at 135 degrees from the front face.

Sponsored Links
so i could use joist hangers to get my 400mm spacing and just use 6x2's with posts at 1.2m centres rather than 6x2 beams and a seperate 4x2 frame on top to get the 400mm centers?

Should do a weight calculation plus the weight of how many people, I have a hot tub with decking but the hot tub is straight on a concrete base rather than decking. I prefer it this way so no worry about timber rotting etc. It will be very heavy, 1 gallon of water is just over 8 lbs

Okay what is your hot tub water volume?

If it's 3 tonnes, then its roughly 6,600 pounds!

the combined weight of tub + water + maximun number of people in it will be upto 3 tonne

been told yub weighs around 500kg will hold around 1500 litres of water so thats 2 tonne plus upto 6 people so a generous tonne to be on the safe side

the combined weight of tub + water + maximun number of people in it will be upto 3 tonne

been told yub weighs around 500kg will hold around 1500 litres of water so thats 2 tonne plus upto 6 people so a generous tonne to be on the safe side

For comparison you could stand 30 people at 14stone in the same area as a tub and exert the same 3ton weight, so easily within safe limits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back