Looking for best practices for decking, lot of conflicting information out there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a lot of conflicting methods on building a deck so i’m looking for your idea of best practices.

I’m laying a deck that is approx 24m2 over 3 levels, each level is 40cm, 30cm and 15cm above ground respectively.

Is the deck best going on 100mm x 100mm decking posts/stakes at 1.2m centres rather than paving slabs? The ground is gravely soil, on top of clay.

If posts are used, am I right that I carriage bolt a 38mm x 140mm (2x6) beam to each side of the post, and THEN have joists resting on top of the beams at 400mm centres? If so what size is best for the joists, 2x4, 2x6?

Should I be using joist hangers?

The deck area is surrounded by brick walls on all 4 sides, is it better to use a ledger on the sides rather than posts or pads?

And finally, if posts are used, is it best to notch out the depth of the beams in the post THEN carriage bolt so that the beams actually sit on top of the post rather then hanging off the side?

Sponsored Links
I cant believe you cant find these answers on here somewhere - I for one have answered them so many times. Have you tried the Search option?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back