another double glazing question ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've recently bought a 1930's semi which needs a heck of a lot of modernising done to it and in typical moneysaving style I'm hoping to do most of it myself, so I'm sure that this wont be my last cry for help I'm a fairly new Dyer but competent and conscientious and have lots of common sense so fairly confident i can do most things myself, within reason. Probably will struggle with the building terms and wording more than anything else

My first cry for help is that the first job i would like to do is to fit new UPVC double glazing (there is a mixture of single glazed UPVC and metal windows at the moment)

I don't know much about the technical terms at the moment and am hoping to find a company that sells windows for supply only. I realise once i have fitted them myself i need to obtain a building certificate??

So i need to know what questions i should be asking the companies?

the sort of thing i was thinking is:-

do i need trickle vents or not?
what profile they use? (i realise there are better profiles than others)
what is their windows efficiency rating? (not sure of the term)

anything else i should be asking them?

thanks for your help,

Sponsored Links
do i need trickle vents or not?

Yes, 5000mm2 for habitable rooms, 2500mm2 for kitchen, utility and bathrooms

what profile they use? (i realise there are better profiles than others)

Its up to you really, whatever suits the house/your budget, for security they ought to be glazed from the inside or 'internally beaded'. Get the most robust you can afford, you can get windows reinforced with aluminium or steel section. Dont skimp on the fixings or they can just lever out the whole thing.

what is their windows efficiency rating? (not sure of the term)

They'll need to achieve a U value of 2.0W/m2 and have Pilkington K Low E glass.

Night latches are a worthwhile option, they allow you to leave the window ajar but locked, useful when you want to leave a window open when you go to work etc.

I realise once i have fitted them myself i need to obtain a building certificate??

Yes, phone up building control at your local council, they're very helpful and will explain everything you need to do over the phone.

For further info have a look here: http://www.windowstoday.co.uk/products_pvcu.htm

Although both trickle vents & emergency exits are a good idea, BC regs. don't require you fit either on replacement windows in a property of that age; but only use internally glazed units that comply with the latest regs! There is loads of information on what to look for & do in the forum archives (some by me) so do a search, have a good read up & then come back with specific questions if you have any. Only thing I would add is to think carefully about DIY; the going rate for fitting is around £50 per window (depending on size) & you will (should) get an independant, 10 year warranty. I was going the full DIY route but by the time you figure in all the agro; taking responsiblility for the sizes, disposing of the old windows, removing/fitting the windows, BC costs for the inspection & conformance certificate etc it hardly seemed worth the it! I did fit a couple of others to an extension later which is not difficult but, overall, I don't think it's worth the hassle if your having the whole house done & as long as you shop around!

Richard C said:
Although both trickle vents & emergency exits are a good idea, BC regs. don't require you fit either on replacement windows in a property of that age; but only use internally glazed units that comply with the latest regs!

Hmm, I don't agree with that, I dont read the latest 2006 regs that way either, page 28 item 3.4-3.6 http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADF_2006.pdf

Sponsored Links
freddymercurystwin said:
Hmm, I don't agree with that, I dont read the latest 2006 regs that way either, page 28 item 3.4-3.6 http://w
www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADF_2006.pdf[/QUOTE]
Niether your link or the .gov downbload site seem to be working (although I am having PC probs at the mo) so I can't check or downloaqd the latest document. It does seem there has been an update since I did my work in Sept 2005; the rules then were that new work (extensions etc.) had to comply but replacement windows didn't have to provide any better than original. I supose the moral is to always check the latest regs. which I will do at some point but if I have given duff info, I appologise!

Godamm regs change every 5 minutes these days :evil: linky works for me, try copy and pasting it into the address bar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back