Another euro cylinder question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new here. Before posting a question, I've trawled through the many many questions and answers about euro cylinders but cannot find a definitive solution for mine.
I have a PVC door with a euro cylinder, its been fine for several years. Lately its been giving issues, with old and new keys, so just want to replace with somehting more up-to-date in regards to security resistance and also with a thumb turn version for ease of use.

The issue is, if there is a grub screw holding cyclinder I cannot see it or cannot access it. I've tried turning the key in many positions to see if it slides out, but to no avail.
I don't want to snap or break it out, as I need to measure first and acquire and rather not be stuck if supplies are short.

I've attached two images to get a better understanding.
I'm wondering if the screw is behind the plastic trim, which is a one piece mould, and has no acess without taking out the glaze (from what I can see)

What does anyone suggest? Thank you

Attachments

• 20220704_114835.jpg
    20220704_114835.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 20220704_114842.jpg
    20220704_114842.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 101
Sponsored Links
That in line with the euro cylinder, there is no grub screw access, if there is one.

I would say/guess it is behind the plastic trim.
About 4 cm up from that hole in the trim.
Can you remove the trim?
If not I would cut or drill a hole in the trim.

Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
It looks like the black (handle?) can be removed by undoing some screws? That might enable you to see inside if there's a small gap (with torch if need be) and if enough of a gap you'll maybe see where the retaining screw is?

I would say/guess it is behind the plastic trim.
About 4 cm up from that hole in the trim.
Can you remove the trim?
If not I would cut or drill a hole in the trim.
I was thinking that too, but wondering whether it comprimises the security as most newer doors tend to have a plate in front to hide the mech?

It looks like the black (handle?) can be removed by undoing some screws? That might enable you to see inside if there's a small gap (with torch if need be) and if enough of a gap you'll maybe see where the retaining screw is?
I've looked, but hardly any space to look through. even if shining lightfrom other side but
I can rock the cyclinder like a see-saw a few mm, feeling that there is indeed something holding it down in the middle, creating the pivot.

Attachments

• 20220704_154443.jpg
    20220704_154443.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 64
In your first pic the part with the slot in must somehow come away from the door, it may be screwed on in 4 or 5 places, remove this and it should expose the screw your after, on very very rare occasions it's been known for the screw to be inserted the opposite way through the glazing channel so that would necessitate removing the glass unit

yes, in the second picture it looks to me like a U-shaped channel fixed to the edge of the door. if it comes off, the screw should be accessible.

the fixing screw always (?) goes into the side of a Eurocylinder, not from the keyhole end.

The grub screw is usually located centrally in the lock and 5-10ish mm above the bottom of the lock. Drill a 10mm hole at this location through the edging piece and I should imagine the grub screw will be revealed

I took a chance and carefully drilled a hole 15mm below keyin line, into PVC, where a grub screw would normally be in the cylinder.
It was there but had to drill further to the right as it wasn't in the complete centre.
Thank you all for chiming in. Its a 80mm, so I've ordered a multTlock intergrator xp.

yes, in the second picture it looks to me like a U-shaped channel fixed to the edge of the door. if it comes off, the screw should be accessible.

the fixing screw always (?) goes into the side of a Eurocylinder, not from the keyhole end.
Unfortunately it's a once piece profile and there isn't a way to remove that U section, without seevere damage.
Anyhow, I've just drilled a hole and found the screw. Thanks.

great news! can you show us where you had to drill?

can you see how they originally fitted it?

What a strange way to design the door, I wonder if this was common in older designs? Main thing is you got it sorted :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back