Another Garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have lurked for quite some time and I have trawled pages and pages of posts regarding garage roof installations and alas not one, (I'm going to be proved wrong I can feel it), has any information regarding sectional garage joist hangers.

Here is my garage workshop WIP.
[/img]

The foam filler and many miles of sealant aren't doing the job anymore and I'm guessing that 50% of tghe roof weight is now just filler :confused:

I'm looking replacing the metal joists with 4x2 2.9m timber, and laying 18mm WPB ply at 600mm centres and then kingspan, EPDM yadda yadda yadda.

My question is, is there a joist hanger that can fit the through bolts as depicted in the roof image?
Or are these better made as bespoke?

Finally, time is a comodity that is becoming scarce as the year moves on and if I can't get the roof done within the next two weeks I'd have to wait until next year! I'd appreciate local reccomendations by PM if that's allowed?

Sponsored Links
Sorry for not being clear

In photo 1, there are arrows pointing to bolts that hold the metal joists, could these bolts be used to hold a joist hanger so timber joists could be used instead? Do the joist hangers exist or do they have to be made to order?

The concept of a flat garage roof seems simple, but I'm flumoxed when it comes to a sectional garage because I cant figure out how to fix the joists to the walls, I thought about putting a frame around the top of the sectional walls and I come up with the same issue of how to fix it in place.

I've trawled though pages and pages of posts on garages and not found an answer to this, hence my move from serial lurker to tentative poster.

You could use the bolt positions to secure a timber to top of wall and form a wall plate and then run timbers from that.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply, I've decided to overclad with insulation and box section. It seemed the easiest method, I'm in the process of getting quotes at the moment. I have to say that it's more expensive than I imagined, in fact it may be cheaper to buy a new garage!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back