Replacement garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The guy next door is giving me his concrete sectional garage but the roof will need changing and at the moment the roof is supported by simple angle iron and I need to change these to timber joists so I can create a proper roof viod to insulate and run cables through. Hs anyone got any suggestions how I will fasten the new timber joist to the concrete walls of the garage ?.
Many thanks in advance for information.
Regards.
John.

Sponsored Links
john59 said:
Has anyone got any suggestions how I will fasten the new timber joist to the concrete walls of the garage ?.
Done quite few of them and they not all the same but it all can be done. Most of the one I've done has a hole in the centre of the precast slab for 3"x2" wallplate bolted to it for the roof rafters. The other one I've done was a garage like a section of gravel board slided into post and that has a 1 1/2" angle iron on top which I use for the wallplate to screw into. I don't know the what type of garage you have but I can help you more if you could do a photo.
Pitch roof on garages should be no more than 4m high for building regulations. I find it cheaper and quicker to have the roof section made by roof trusses company which make the roof frame section with nail plate, you just give them the span measurement from wallplate to wallplate on the external. I saved over £700 on my extension instead of making it the traditional roof method.
I can't give you advice for what type of electric cables etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back