External garage door lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I'm thinking of putting a doorway into my single brick garage wall and was wondering do I have to put a lintel in?

Its a 1950s garage with a 5inch poured concrete roof. Im planning on cutting the verticals with a 9inch angle grinder right up to the roof, inserting the door frame and boarding the gap between the door and roof with wood.

My question is, does the roof need to be supported seeing as it's poured concrete and like a lintel itself?

Photo attached.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 178
Sponsored Links
For what a concrete lintel will cost (about £15) I'd put one in. Your roof will probably be alright without one but why chance it?

For what a concrete lintel will cost (about £15) I'd put one in. Your roof will probably be alright without one but why chance it?

Thanks Oldbutnotdead. Better safe than sorry. I'll pick one up later and post the results.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Went with woodys suggestion and didn't bother with a lintel. There is a beam across the top of the door frame for added support.

I'm happy enough with it.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 146

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back