Garage Lintel replacement with brick headers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am replacing a concrete lintel above a garage door on a 9" wall. It was shuttered and poured in situ, and therefore the concrete is stuck to the headers on the outer skin, holding the bricks in place. now when i take the concrete out i will also have to remove the headers. i cannot put a lintel in for outer brickwork as they finish half way between a course!

I thought of just putting the lintel on the next course up, but this leaves a gap of about an inch between top of the garage door and the brickwork.
Any ideas of a solution anyone?

cheers!!!

Sponsored Links
Take the full brick out each side and re-build to half the depth (to give you the right height for your lintel) using two or three course of plain roof tiles, or a few quarry tiles etc.

I thought of just putting the lintel on the next course up, but this leaves a gap of about an inch between top of the garage door and the brickwork.
Any ideas of a solution anyone?
Top of the garage door or top of the garage door frame?

If it is the frame then fix a timber fillet on top of the frame and then fix an architrave on top of that to cover the fillet. This is not at all unusual and occurs often with pre-set garage door sizes.

Garage door fitters don't even bother with the fillet, they just use the architrave. The strength of a door frame is mainly in the side fixings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back