Increasing height of garage opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My garage door opening is somewhat too short and I am looking to raise it slightly.

It is currently restricted a supporting timber that runs across the top of the door with the roof joists (flat felted roof) rest directly on top of. I am wanting to remove this timber.

The joists are 150mm x 50mm and the timber over the door is 150mm x 75mm. My idea is to attach joist hangers flush up against the current 150mmx75mm timber and then temporarily support the roof somehow inside whilst I cut the joists flush and allow me to remove the supporting timber.

Then I would replace this by another 150mm x 75mm timber that is a few foot longer which I can attach the hangers too and would then rest on the top of the cut ends of the original 150mmx75mm timber either side of the garage door and then attach with something like stitch plates either side.

Hopefully my woefully poor diagram will help clarify.

Does this sound practical and is it sufficient to support the roof loading?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I can not make out what is under that beam. Will your new opening be supported by masonary/wood uprights under where you show your "stitch" plates. If it is a wide opening and you are just raising part of it, then I think it is totally under rated.
Frank

I can not make out what is under that beam. Will your new opening be supported by masonary/wood uprights under where you show your "stitch" plates. If it is a wide opening and you are just raising part of it, then I think it is totally under rated.
Frank

Thanks Frank,

You're quite correct it would have been really helpful for me to show what is supporting that beam! Directly under the 'stitch plates' (what are they really called?) there are both supporting vertical timber and masonry. So the unsupported span is only 2.6m

Thanks

I would have thought that providing the new raised beam has a 6"overlap over the supporting masonary that it would be OK. Do not rely on the framing for the garage door for support.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, I assumed it would be ok, just wanted to sound it out with someone who is more knowledgable than I :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back