Deck above Garage Roof?

I

iDIY

Hi Guys,

I am not out of the ground yet but planning ahead. Planning Permission is granted, just deciding on Council or Private Building Control.

My rear garden is flat at ground level for about 5 mts from the house then originally sloped brown very steeply about 2.5 mts to an access road along the back of all the gardens. This slope was it in and supported my a retaining wall many years ago forming a flat area 5m x 5m which then had a prefab double garage built on it. The garage then had a 5m x 5m deck built above it supported by vertical wooden beams that passed through the garage roof and rested on the concrete slab that was the garage floor. Effectively it was a deck on stilts. Because of the slope in the garden, the garage was below the house ground level and the deck above the garage was at house ground level.

I have removed the prefab double garage and old deck and once proper foundations are in place I will build a new cavity walled 5m x 5m double garage out of dense concrete block. That will have an RSJ across the middle as the Planners have ok’d a 2.5m x 5m blockwork art studio vice the garage, effectively making half the footprint of the garage 2 storeys.

So, the 2.5m x 5m in front of the studio will need to have a garage roof and a deck above it. I have 2 choices, I can either ; do a flat (slight slope for drainage) garage roof supported by joists between the rsj at one end and the inner leaf at the other end 2.5m away and then put the deck on separate joists above the garage roof.

Or I can put the deck directly onto the garage roof with those adjustable plastics posts that will then support the deck timbers.

I prefer the idea of the deck resting on the garage roof with the plastic posts but I am wondering what sort of construction I would use above the 8 x 2 garage roof joists to make the garage roof rigid enough and watertight when subjected to the weight of the deck?

I’m guessing I need something better than OSB and felt :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back