Garage Roof Options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm planning on converting an external garage to a well insulated room.

My initial plan was to replace the old roof with a steel roof and have a cold roof with the insulation layer beneath the joists. However I don't believe this is going to be possible due to the lack of height at the back of the garage compared to the height of the door. There simply isn't enough room for 50mm of ventilation space + 100m of insulation + 12.5 plasterboard.

The second option was to opt for a warm roof. With a layer of 18mm OSB3 (or ply) above the joists, a vapour barrier, 100mm insulation, another 18mm of OSB3 and then EPDM rubber to seal it off. Inside I'd create a false 'flat' ceiling to hide the joists and to hold the lights, etc. The problem here is that the joists will run from the outside through the warm envelope of the building creating cold bridges, though I know wood isn't the worse material for this.

I thought perhaps I could put a layer of insulation over the joists outside, however I don't think this would work very well and would need to be hidden within the eaves making them really big. The other potential option I consider was adding 25mm insulation around each joists within the garage, though I couldn't do this above the joist obviously.

I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts or recommendations if anyone has any other ideas please?

Thanks

20160417_174659.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks, is that without the insulation around the joists?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back