Another high hedge issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4E2F553B-281E-46BF-AFB2-611C4A5F1A4B.jpeg
404FECC1-8CC8-4030-8D65-A3FD05FDEA23.jpeg D618F0D3-AED8-4417-87E1-D4A3DEC3A284.jpeg 4E2F553B-281E-46BF-AFB2-611C4A5F1A4B.jpeg 4E2F553B-281E-46BF-AFB2-611C4A5F1A4B.jpeg D618F0D3-AED8-4417-87E1-D4A3DEC3A284.jpeg 404FECC1-8CC8-4030-8D65-A3FD05FDEA23.jpeg I moved into my new house a month ago which was previously lived in by an old lady.

One of the boundaries is dominated by a confier hedge higher than our house itself , and virtually growing over the roof! They have to be over 50feet high and run a good 150 feet in length.

They over hang at worst about 15feet if you include the laurels and virtually cut all the light out from that side

I don’t want to be the neighbour that moves in and starts making demands straight away and will try amicable approach and see if they play ball

My question is if they don’t does the high hedge law cover this and in practical terms what will it mean in terms of height reduction to the hedge ?

Sponsored Links
Osteosingh, good evening.

I assume that the Conifers are on your neighbours side of the Boundary?

Loads of info on the Net as regards this type of problem?

As you allude to in your post, new Owner, making waves?? After all you walked into this new house in the full knowledge of the conifers, that is one way of looking at this situation??

Was there any reference to the Conifers in your conveyancing documentation? possibly something from the Surveyor who inspected the property??

In the Conveyancing process did the vendor have to fill out a declaration about any on-going disputes with the neighbours? [a requirement up here in Scotland]

Suggest you introduce yourself to the Neighbour and bring up the tree situation?? test the water ??

Sorry about the questions, but a complex situation at times?

Ken

Hi Ken

Thanks for your reply , yes the trees are on the neighbours side of the boundary literally the trunks are the boundary. The surveyor did say the trees pose a future threat to the stability of the house . I bought the property with the knowledge that if amicable discussions failed there would be an avneue if recourse via the high hedge law

The old owner passed away and it was the estate executors who sold the house . I have researched this online but the answer I cannot find is what height does the council direct the owners to lower the trees to? They are currently taller than my garden is wide

Sponsored Links
Just to give an update on the situation

I took Kens advice and spoke to the neighbour who is adamant he doesnt want the trees touched until he dies even protests to cutting back on our own side in our own boundary

Apart from this issue he seems a really nice chap and in the interest of neighbourly relations Ive just let the matter lie and will see how we go
I did speak to the council and they advised me this would definitely fall under the high hedges act and they would ask for the height to be removed by a 1/3 ( this is the maximum they can enforce in one year without being detrimental to the trees health )

What does your insurance company say? The condition in the property insurance I have requires all 'trees' within 5mtrs of the property to be no higher than 5mtrs.
You may remove overhanging branches on trees and return the trimmings or dispose of as both parties agree.

Trees that height and that close to the house will be expensive to deal with - but it needs doing sooner rather than later. I guess your neighbour doesn't want to do it because of the hassle and cost rather than he likes the trees. Heard it before.

See link

How important is it to you?

If you paid would your neighbour be more agreeable? -it might be worth ringing a tree surgeon and getting a ball park price.

your neighbour is a nice chap at the moment, but he is offering no concessions at all -we can all be nice when we are getting our way!

I suppose the trees are at the bottom of his garden, so the trees mean he cant see your house, if they are cut, he will see the end of your 2 storey house. If 1/3 is cut off only a bit of the gable would be visible so that would seem acceptable.

Apart from this issue he seems a really nice chap and in the interest of neighbourly relations Ive just let the matter lie and will see how we go
Don't make the mistake in being the only person worried about neighbourly relations... I mean in the kindest way, he should also be thinking of you in a good neighbourly manner as his trees are clearly way too big and will affect your property.

How important is it to you?

If you paid would your neighbour be more agreeable? -it might be worth ringing a tree surgeon and getting a ball park price.

your neighbour is a nice chap at the moment, but he is offering no concessions at all -we can all be nice when we are getting our way!

I suppose the trees are at the bottom of his garden, so the trees mean he cant see your house, if they are cut, he will see the end of your 2 storey house. If 1/3 is cut off only a bit of the gable would be visible so that would seem acceptable.

I have offered to pay for the works and the quite came in at £2000 due to the height and there are 21 trees in total that need the work doing, but the neighbour declined. The height of the trees are actually 78feet according to the guy who quoted, and his opnion are that they need work and have never been maintained

You can cut back any part of the trees which overhang the boundary , neighbour cannot prevent that.

I have offered to pay for the works and the quite came in at £2000 due to the height and there are 21 trees in total that need the work doing, but the neighbour declined. The height of the trees are actually 78feet according to the guy who quoted, and his opnion are that they need work and have never been maintained

Well you cant be more helpful than that.

I suppose your neighbour just wants a natural tree line so his view of the skyline is a vista of natural tree tops.

But he is thinking only of himself.

Are they Leyandii?

If you cant persuade him to go ahead, then I would say go for approval via the high hedges route and get them cut by a 1/3. He has only got away with it because the previous own was an old lady.

I’d be thinking:

1. How long before the guy dies?

2. Would he like a coffin made out of conifer trunks. They wood could take a few years to dry.

I can see why he wants screening though, your patio looks right into his garden without anything on his side.
But he should have kept them at 15-20 feet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back