Another Hive Install Question

I believe so and then goes off. But I will check tonight when back home

Sponsored Links
What I can't work out, is why a boiler designed to work from the input to the ebus, would be altered to work on a mark/space ratio? Loads of thermostats designed to work with the ebus, like Nest, so why down grade the system to work with Hive?

What I can't work out, is why a boiler designed to work from the input to the ebus, would be altered to work on a mark/space ratio

To increase the number of places the boiler can be sold.

The aim is to male it "compatible" with both the most complex of control systems the simplest bi-metallic ON-OFF thermostat.

So many people looking for a new boiler have bi-metallic ON-OFF thermostats and would not want to pay extra to update their control system if the boiler could not be controlled by their existing controller

Additionally you can only use Vaillant controls with the Vaillant eBus. That means everyone with a Vaillant needs to buy a vSmart, which isn’t the smartest decision in the world as you’ll also need a spare power supply to run it as they forgot that their own boiler has the ability to power it???

Plug a Nest into the eBus and watch it throw a wobbly. As such, Nest/Hive - makes no real difference. Although I personally prefer Nest, I can see the draw of Hive, pricing and a more complete ecoSystem allowing people to control more with less.

Sponsored Links
To increase the number of places the boiler can be sold.

The aim is to male it "compatible" with both the most complex of control systems the simplest bi-metallic ON-OFF thermostat.

So many people looking for a new boiler have bi-metallic ON-OFF thermostats and would not want to pay extra to update their control system if the boiler could not be controlled by their existing controller
But he already has a ebus type controller, he clearly shows wires to ebus, so why down grade?

I am sure there is a very good reason, but I can't work out what it would be. I know before I had got around to installing Nest (in my case not OpenTherm) I used a remote controlled socket so I did not have to go outside and walk down a set of steps to the granny flat to turn it on, I am sure if I missed out the bit about walking outside to switch heating on/off it would have looked crazy. So I assume some thing similar, some fact missed out, once we know why down grading to Hive, maybe we could work out a better option?

Vaillant controls are awful. Hard to use, hard to set, not intuitive and to be fair, not very intelligent. Hats off to anyone that really understands them.

The only time we ever fit Vaillant controls is when cascading their boilers, otherwise it’s always aftermarket controls.

Heating signal goes off, Hive Receiver led should flash for a bit, then make a click noise, then rad symbol on front of boiler should flash for a bit as the boiler “runs on” to clear its heat.

The run on period will depend on the heat left in the heat exchanger.

Went of after 5m40sec. So looks like all good. Thanks.

I'm moving to Hive because my wife hates the Vaillant thermostat. Not the most intuitive to use.

Vaillant-VRT-392F-Programmable-Room-Temperature-Remote-Controller.jpg

Now I see why, thank you, no longer have gas so does not affect me now, I went for the cheaper Nest, as to if that was good or bad move, don't know, although Hive wall thermostat is cheaper than Nest, the TRV heads are double the price, so total price Hive is more expensive to Nest, but the TRV heads it seems are better, where they actually tell boiler to run, not just a simple follow command.

Even the Energenie TRV heads used with Nest cost £40 each, so only fitted 4, rest of house using stand alone heads, not done a winter in this house, so don't know how they will work, aim is a central boiler, but each room independent temperature control. Unlike Hive however, if my TRV head calls for more heat, nothing will happen until Nest fires up the boiler. However Hive would cost around £1250 with all the TRV heads, I have paid £450 to date, likely will get another batch of TRV heads so another £75 for another 5 heads, so paying under half price for the Nest as would cost for Hive.

Also for me I needed volt free contacts and DHW so Hive would not have worked anyway. Had I not already had Energenie heads when we moved in, would have looked at EvoHome and Tado, but £200 worth of TRV heads I already had, so actually only paid £250 to date on the heating, 8 rooms with programmable TRV's and 5 standard TRV's of them 4 are in the granny flat, so not used to live in, only storage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back