Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have purchased a new hive system which I want to install into our house, however as our current central heating system does not have a thermostat, I am going to need to wire in the hive receiver from scratch. I have gone through the boiler manual and have found the external accessories wiring and now just need a little advice as to the wiring order.

Attached is a pic of the manual and connector in the boiler that I believe needs to be wired to the hive receiver.

47612C40-E3C5-4267-B296-D77CBB25DE00.JPG

So from reading this forum and other threads relating to hive installs, I believe I should be connecting it in the following way:

RT connects to N
24v connects to L
Bus - connects to 1
Bus + connects to 3

I also remove the red loop wire between RT/24v

Is it that simple or have I got this massively wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Ok so after a bit more searching I have found that I'm way off the mark!

Power needs to come from the mains, so should i take it from the feed in the boiler (pic1) or off the back of the isolater switch on the wall (pic 2)

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

Once it has power I believe I then need to connect the RT/24v to points 1 and 3 on the hive diagram (does it matter which to which?)?

Is this now correct?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 173
or have I got this massively wrong?
Yes
The Hive needs a 230Vac mains supply to N & L. But your system uses 24v for switching.

Edit. Ah you figured it out yourself whilst I was typing.

Last edited:
Thanks Stem.

Is it best for me to come off the isolator switch for the power?

Also is the order for the switching relevant? Or does it not matter which way round they are wired?

Thanks for your prompt response.

Sponsored Links
Power needs to come from the mains, so should i take it from the feed in the boiler (pic1) or off the back of the isolater switch on the wall (pic 2)
Either will do, I imagine at the boiler terminals will be the easiest

Once it has power I believe I then need to connect the RT/24v to points 1 and 3 on the hive diagram (does it matter which to which?)?
Correct. 'Common' and 'Heating On' are the connections you want. It doesn't matter which way around. Remove the red link between RT/24v.

Thanks so much, you are a star!

The wife will be please it will be working by the time she gets home!

Going to go to B&Q and get some wire, any recommendation for what type to get?

Thanks again

If you do run the cable into the boiler, then 1mm2 or 0.75mm2 heat resistant cable would be good. This will also be good for the 24v switching wires.

If you get the main supply from the FCU (fused connection unit) then use 1.5mm2 twin and earth. Make sure that you connect it to the 'load' terminals not the 'supply' terminals

So twin core heat resistant 75mm2 for both and just run the power from the boiler.

Thanks.

You only need heat resistant where the cable enters the boiler. And, it's 0.75mm2 not 75mm2:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back