Another insulation question...

inaccessible junction between the rad foil and the wall
Ok, got it, you were classing the improvement from the foil as part of the wall's insulation and I was classing it as something relevant to improving the air gap, seems we both agree actually:LOL:
Although it is simply a low emissivity foil, the temperature on both surfaces inaccessible and accessible will be the same, so my point still stands. But I think I understand you now.

Sponsored Links
Doggit, in post 22 you said that a hot wall behind a radiator was indicating that a lot of heat was going into the wall. This is exactly the wrong way around and I think it's worth challenging.

No, it's not worth challenging; if you've ever felt a wall that's behind a radiator, you'd realise that a lot of heat is getting wasted just heating the wall, and doing nothing more than that. Common sense tells you the heats getting wasted unproductively, and if it can be directed into the room, then you're only left deciding what's the best insulation for the job. End of.

Sponsored Links
Your intuition is wrong.

Say you're in a room and feel two of its walls; one feels warm and one feels cold. Which is losing the most heat?

sorry doggit, you're displaying a poor attitude to learn. You can't just say something wrong and say End OF, as if that's some kind of polite way to debate. endecotp has spent a long time making clear explanations so personally I am grateful to their time to do that.

You are saying that if a wall is near a radiator that's on, it's wasteful. endecotp is saying that's not necessarily true, it just means the radiator is on.

WOW, that caused some discussion :D Thanks for all the replies, duly noted..

I had to leave the house just before Xmas due to the dust and my old man chest. Been here a few days now and things are not good!

While the rooms that have been done are now warm it would seem that another problem has been created... Damp, shocking damp. I've had the rad on at full chat for roughly 2 hours each night for 5 days thinking it would dry things out, but it hasn't. Bed blankets are damp to the touch, it stinks in the room, there's a greenish looking powder already forming on parts of the new plaster and the plug socket by the side of the bed is wet to the touch and a good candidate for electrocution! Been in touch with the landlady and her response is get a dehumidifier which to my mind treats the problem not the cause. Then I've got the cost of buying the damn thing and running it..

Guys, I'm at my wit's end with this bloody place, it just seems like one thing after the other... With a newly insulated room what on earth would cause such a dramatic damp issue?

Thanks for all your help.

Jim..

I don't understand why it's much worse than before, nothing has changed other than the insulation.. Was told by the builder not to open windows while the air is moist but to keep heating on for as long as I can.. No extractor fans in the house and generally speaking I dry clothes in the downstairs bathroom on the rad.

Was told by the builder not to open windows while the air is moist but to keep heating on for as long as I can.

Completely the wrong advice

No extractor fans in the house and generally speaking I dry clothes in the downstairs bathroom on the rad.

Fit extractor fans and find some other way to dry clothes.

Or move.

So you are creating all the damp:

- Drying clothes on a heater
- Only heating the house a few hours per day
- Not opening windows

The builder is talking nonsense, of course the windows should be opened, to release the moist air.

The landlord needs to install bathroom and kitchen extractor fans. You need to buy a tumble dryer, and ventilate the house for an hour a day if possible, and keep it around 18degrees or more all the time.

@Jim Gap

Please read this, it describes your situation regarding the condensation and damp, from the landlords perspective.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/condensation-help.494975/

Please read the whole thread. Understand why damp/condensation is created. Change your living habits as any damp condensation that is being created is down to you.

Also read this guide:
http://www.bolton.gov.uk/sites/DocumentCentre/Documents/Condensation and Mould.pdf

In fact the thread mentions your scenario specifically. Increased insulation, without considering ventilation and a tenant who dries clothes on radiators.

-

So the builders put the insulation in, and then plastered the walls, and then told you to keep the heating on and the windows closed to help it dry out. Well, he's as much of an idiot as we thought he would be, so it still begs the question of whether he's done the job properly or not. Open he windows to clear the moist air, and then see what happens, but with that landlord, I'd look for somewhere else to live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back