Another "is this asbestos?" question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Would request your collective expertise as I have got myself in a bit of a pickle after previously not being worried.

I leak in some pipes has lead to a hole in the ceiling near the front door. Finally getting round to fixing it. Do I need to worry about the materials in the photos? Hopefully I have captured enough detail. Asbestos was found in the kitchen many years ago when the ceiling was taken down but clearly that may have been because it was a kitchen. House built mid-1920's although couldn't tell you when this ceiling went up. You can see the finish is pimpled!

(I keep getting a security warning that won't let me upload some of the photos so here is one whilst I try and get the others uploaded.)

SO the big question, do I need to worry?

Many thanks,
Ig

Attachments

• 20210407_170813.jpg
    20210407_170813.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 139
Sponsored Links
A couple more pics (think the file size was too big before). Cheers.

Attachments

• 20210407_170845_1.jpg
    20210407_170845_1.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 20210407_170831_1.jpg
    20210407_170831_1.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 93
Looks like plasterboard to me, if your concerned get it tested.

Thanks Old Salt. I will of course get it tested if the view here is uncertain. However, if the collective wisdom of the crowd here (who will have seen such setups many times) before screams "it's fine" then I can save myself the worry, expense and bother.

Appreciate all views and the kindness of strangers.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Can I ask how old the house is?

Last edited by a moderator:
"House built mid-1920's although couldn't tell you when this ceiling went up."

Hi Ig,

I had almost exactly the same looking stuff on one of my ceilings. Had it tested and board itself was just fibreboard but the textured paper came back as containing chrysotile so having to get the whole lot taken off professionally. I reckon it's the paper rather than the board that you'd need to think about (although I'm not a pro, and one ceiling doesn't exactly make me experienced!).

Cheers
Bertles

If you get stuff tested, include a separate sample for the white artexed/ripple finish.

I’ve only used a testing service once (postal) but was fine and easy enough. They included two samples but could pay for additional ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back