Another loft insulation question!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I've done a fair bit of research on this, I hope you can help.

Here's a couple of pics of my loft - it's a 1930s house in which we've had a few dampness issues over the years, due to driving moisture etc. We live in a pretty windy spot and close-ish to the coast....
2i0qhkm.jpg

mbgvhh.jpg

I desperately need to improve the insulation, but also we need to use the loft for storage. Due to the driving winds we've found before that anything we put up there gets covered in dirt/dust and basically ruined. It's really cold in winter and gets quite hot in the summer.

The ceiling joists and the rafters are both 4" by a good 2" - much better quality timber than you can get these days by the looks of it.

I know one way forward is to cross batten timber at right angles to the floor joists - then I can get British Gas or whomever to come and insulate between them pretty much for free. But what about the option of insulating between the rafters, which would also cut out a lot of the draughts? BG have just told me they won't get involved in that...........what material would I be best using and wouldn't there be a hell of a lot of wastage? Is is possible to claim back an allowance for it? If I insulate between the rafters I should probably leave an air gap of 50mm - that only leaves 50mm of rafter, so I take it I'd have to layer more insulation on under the rafter (inside the loft I mean)?

Thanks for any pointers!

Sponsored Links
There is no point insulating at rafter level if you are going to insulate at ceiling level. So just insulate at ceiling level only. then get a 'breathable membrane' off ebay and staple it to the underside of the rafters to prevent the dust but allow ventilation. A draughty loft is a healthy loft.

There is no point insulating at rafter level if you are going to insulate at ceiling level. So just insulate at ceiling level only. then get a 'breathable membrane' off ebay and staple it to the underside of the rafters to prevent the dust but allow ventilation. A draughty loft is a healthy loft.

Thanks. What timbers would you suggest and would you suggest timbers rather than some other method?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back