Rafter insulation pointless?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
The loft in my house has been boarded out for storage.

- Mineral wool insulation (200mm) in joists, boarded over with floor boards.

- Mineral wool between rafters (and pressing against felt membrane) and boarded over with plasterboard.

First of all, should the insulation from the rafters be removed due to potential condensation issues? Second is there any point to it to start with? The 200mm in the joists is keeping most if the heat in the house below and the loft space is only boarded for storage it's not lived in or heated.

I was thinking remove plasterboard & rafter insulation, replace with 25mm polystyrene board insulation between rafters, maybe another 50mm over rafters, re-plasterboard.

Attachments

• 36892147_472435176517494_4939277923011002368_o.jpg
    36892147_472435176517494_4939277923011002368_o.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 115
Sponsored Links
If it is breathable membrane then its fine I believe as there will be no requirement for an air gap. If you're not bothered about heating or protecting your loft from the cold and your joist insulation is sufficient then it is indeed pointless.

No, it's old fashioned felt, so not breathable.

I'm not too worried about keeping the loft space warm, I doubt 75mm of polystyrene insulation would have much effect anyway, after most of the heat has been kept in by the 200mm in the floor.

The main reason I was considering it was for EPC rating, the 200 + 75 would give above recommended amount of insulation, so potentially extra points?

ok, so you could have an issue with condensation as you should have a minimum 50mm air gap with that type of membrane.

Sponsored Links
That's what In was thinking, yes. I pulled some back a few weeks ago and it was dry underneath, but now the colder weather is setting in I'm not sure it'll stay dry.

Think I'll pull it all off, put 25mm polystyrene insulation (Jablite boards from B&Q) between the rafters then board over it with Knauf Fire panel plasterboard. Not too expensive or time consuming.

That's what In was thinking, yes. I pulled some back a few weeks ago and it was dry underneath, but now the colder weather is setting in I'm not sure it'll stay dry.

Think I'll pull it all off, put 25mm polystyrene insulation (Jablite boards from B&Q) between the rafters then board over it with Knauf Fire panel plasterboard. Not too expensive or time consuming.

If you're not bothered about insulating the room then why even bother to put any back in ?

Just for a little extra help with the EPC rating I guess?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back