Another loft insulation question

Rat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently installed insulation in my loft and am about to install a further 15cm (wickes rockwool) across the existing roof joists (spaced too far apart to floor). I have purchased 5, 3.2m 7" by 2" joists to run across the existing joists to install chipboard flooring. The flooring will only be done for the center 1.6m width under the apex of the roof.

My question is with regards ventilation. Will there be a condensation problem under the area of flooring? The supports of 7" (or 178mm) will raise the floor only 3cm above the insulation (150mm). The ends are open to air flow.

Could condenstation be an issue?

Should I:
Add vent holes to the sides of the joists after 1.6m?
Use only 100mm insulation?
Lift the insulation and put a vapour barrier under the boarded area?

Or can I get away without doing anything else?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Rat said:
Use only 100mm insulation?
Yes,no need for 150mm insulation,an extra 50mm would not make any difference to heat loss.
The ends are open to air flow.
No need to do anything else.
Add vent holes to the sides of the joists after 1.6m?
If you want to,then the way round it,is to put approx 3" x1" flat on top of the joists in opposite direction then T&G flooring on top which will allow air flow across the joists.

Also make sure the 7" x 2" joists are resting on the wallplate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back