Another Off topic Discussion?

B

Big_Spark

The recent thread started by Hong Kong Fooey, sorry, mildmanneredjanitor, has got me thinking, and then a conversation a short while ago with my neighbour jogged my memory about something else.

Can anyone tell me what they consider the most convincing hoax in history was??

My Favourite is the Neutron Bomb, CND bought the story hook, line and sinker, even now you still find aging hippy's who believe this rubbish the intelligence services put out.

Sponsored Links
Well, back in WW2 the Nazi's discovered that Britain was developing a new infrared system for detecting the heat given off by U-boats on the surface. Now, the Nazi u-boats were already painted grey in the atlantic in order to camouflage them. In order to mask the heat signature that shows up on infrared the necessary coatings turned the sub black. This wasn't any good so they spent a lot of time and effort developing a method of reducing the IR signature whilst still blending in with the sea. They managed it in the end, it was a paint incorporating microscopic glass beads.

However, Britain wasn't developing the IR system really, it was all a counterintelligence ploy to keep the Nazis off the scent of a more advanced SONAR system!

Does that count as a hoax?

Sounds like a hoax to me.

But then WWII is full of the things...

Not realy a Hoax but did you know that the majority of Italian WW2 MTB's where made of Balsa wood. The Generals were ripping Mussolini off all the time so whilst he thought he had all this killer equipment it was nothing more than show for his inspection.
The airforce faired no better. When he inspected these rows of fighter planes only the front ones where real the rest mock ups. To make matters worse when he took off to visit another field the real planes quickly fly ahead. He could spend a week looking at the same planes.

I saw this prog recently where a magician employed by the British moved the suez canal so the German bombers got confused and bombed the wrong targets.

Sponsored Links
Oh, where he used the bright lights pointing into the sky.

He also came up with a plan where they built a framework onto a jeep to make it look like a tank from the air.

I can think of three.

1) The war of the world's broadcast that caused panic in the US when Orson Wells broadcast it on the radio with many believing that Martians were invading.

2) The Apollo Moon Landings which obviously really happened but many people have been fooled into thinking they didn't happen and were all a big hollywood con to make the yanks think they beat the russians to the moon.

3) The famous photo of the Loch Ness monster which I think someone recently coughed up and said it was a fake.

As FWL says there were quite a lot during WWII. One that comes instantly to mind was made into a film. It was quite impressive how they managed to fool the germans on the location for D-Day. Very clever. Can't remember what it was called though. :confused:

hongkongphooey.gif

:D

I believe there was a report on the news in the 60's? about spaghetti farming, with footage during 'harvest time' of spaghetti being plucked from trees!

An April fools joke by the BBC, I think?

People are so gullible, everyone knows spaghetti grows in the ground... ;)

the thing with that was it was david dinmbleby who did it, and thats not what dd does, so everyone belived him, (think it was dd)

I remember the spaghetti and we are still harvesting, although the trees have seen better days

It was on Nationwide, if anybody remembers that. Oh God, I'm showing my age!

My favourite conspiracy theory is the c**p spewed forth from M-al-F about Diana & dodi (like her music!!)

Sponsored Links
Back