Another query on external coatings/paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I feel like I am getting bogged down with research and info so can someone point me in the right direction please.
1990's house(with cavity wall) rendered exterior. Never had anything put on it.
We are about to have someone come in and sort out vertical cracks running under windows and redo around door frames where render has come off. But what to do then?
Options, paint or coating.
Plasterer doing the work has suggested solvent borne masonary coating based on modified acrylic resins, trowel application(like to stress that he isn't pushing for work, happy to do this or for me to get painter in)
from what i can gather, this type of substance doesn't let the house 'breathe' but am I right assuming this will not be an issue with cavity walls?
I am getting somewhat confused regarding acrylic resin. pliolite, alkyds, water based acrylics etc. Obviously would like something durable, but as i understand it some of these are more resisitant to cracking than others and this will be a fairly big factor due to windows being oak coloured, getting full sun causing them to flex(?)
I have tried looking at various paints/coatings online, but they all seem to state(for obvious reasons :) ) that they are flexible, uv resistant, algae resistant, durable etc and I am getting an overload of info that almost means very little.
Need I be wary of solvent borne coatings and VOC too?
Can anyone enlighten me in simple terms or give me the benefit of their experience pretty please

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back