Cracked bathroom paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Back in October we had our bathroom refitted. We went from a fully tiled bathroom to partially tiled and painted. The original tiles were stripped off and then a base and top coat of plaster applied. A couple of weeks later, I decorated the bare plaster. I started with a mist coat of Johnstone's Joncryl Primer Undercoat and then 2 coats of Acrylic Durable Matt.

I quickly realised that the Acrylic Durable Matt wasn't the right product as when condensation runs down it is picking up some of the pigment. I'm going to paint over it with Dulux Diamond Eggshell as this will hopefully solve this problem. However, when we were away over Christmas, I left the heating off and the house became cold. As a result, cracks appeared in the paint and subsequently moisture has got in and started to lift it. How is the best way to prevent this happening again? Should I just sand over the cracks to smooth them before painting over or is more preparation needed?

Thanks

Guyan

Sponsored Links
I did a bit more investigation last night. I've opened up some of the cracks a little and the paint has peeled off the plaster. The undercoat comes with it leaving the bare plaster underneath. I'm sure I watered the undercoat down but it appears not.

It's clear now that the paint all needs to come off. Any suggestions on how best to do this. Scraping is clearing going to take a long time and sanding it all off will make a lot of mess.

Thanks

Guyan

Hi Guyan,

I'd scrape off anything loose, and then sand down to get it smooth. You are going to have some mess, but you only have to clean up once! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back