New Plaster, Acrylic Eggshell & A Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Decorating novice - I'm about to start on a bathroom. It has a new plaster ceiling and the untiled wall has been re-skimmed. Both are completely dry.

As I didn't know any better, I've lightly sanded any high points, filled where necessary and given the whole lot a good coat of plaster sealer and now want to paint it with acrylic eggshell (which I understand is the bathroom paint of choice).

Should I give it all an emulsion mist coat, or trust the plaster sealer and go straight to an acrylic undercoat and then the acrylic eggshell?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
not a painter decorator myself but i would apply the mist coat first - not because its right just because i think it gives a good base
but wait for a pro to advise for or against :eek:

mist cost first, diluted normal matt by about 10%.
Then would use a acrylic eggshell or durable matt like dulux diamond matt or egghsell.

Thanks - I'll buy some matt emulsion in the morning and get started.

Sponsored Links
Saw the price of Dulux Diamond eggshell today. :eek: Only in brilliant white too.

Bought some bathroom-specific paint and will see just how bad it is to apply. It can't be worse than the B&Q masonry paint I bought last week.

might be to late now but its better to buy a none vinyle paint for a mist coat like a contract matt that has no vinyle in it. get down to you local leyland centre and get your self some johnstone eggshell its realy good and alot cheaper.

carl

given the whole lot a good coat of plaster sealer and now

Good advice above.. But if you have already used the plaster sealer . no mist coat needed. Mist coat only for bare plaster... ;)

ps I know the Dulux q'd egshell has gone bloody pricey, added that fkn diamond name to a good product and personally feel thaty fkd up a good product.. however would be interesting to hear how you got on with retail kitchen/ barf stuff :)

B&Q Bathroom & Kitchen paint - covers well, easy to apply. Good so far.

Thanks for reply .. Interesting that.. perhaps its improved since the early days :confused: :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back