Another reason why our country is going down the pan.

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
D

david and julie

Did any of the you (older) guy's hear Jeremy Vine on radio 2 at lunchtime today. He was talking about the St George flags on cars for the euro football. He interviewed a guy who said he had imported over 500.000 of these flags from China for the main supermarkets. However due to the success of the sales they are running out of stock. He said we have now recieved our full order from China, and it looks like we will have to source some in the UK. Shame.

These flags were also been used to celebrate D Day at weekend, the old guy's must be turning in their graves.

Sponsored Links
Isn't there that one factory in China that turns out pretty much every mass-produced flag in the world? I remember seeing something about the irony of a communist country producing almost all of the flags of capitalist nations including the USA.

On the subject of flags, someone told me that in the US it is illegal to fly foreign flags. So if you move over there and got a house with a flagpole in the garden (as per any movie!) then you are only allowed to fly the stars and stripes, you can't even have stars and stripes plus a Union Jack/George Cross. Anyone know if that is true? :?:

Perhaps someone should start a factory that makes George crosses, Andrew Crosses and Welsh Flags here in the UK. It could be run by a charity organisation (not dissimilar to the Royal British Legion making poppies)... not sure where the money would go to. National museums? Bringing theatre to the farflung corners of the land?

I am always surprised to find adults who don't know the different flags, their names and where they represent. A colleague of mine was very sure that a white background with a red cross was the "Union Jack"... and a Scotswoman I know thought that St Patrick's Day was a celebration of Scotland! When I asked her "Don't you mean St Andrew?" she asked "Who's he?"... I wouldn't have minded if she wasn't so fiercely Scottish and didn't get angry if someone calls her British! *sigh*

What do you expect with a language like this :-

Cleave (split apart or break) and Cleave (stick or adhere).
Ravish (to violently abuse) and Ravish (to delight).
Fast (quick) and Fast (stuck tight)
Sanction (a permission) and Sanction (a preventative penalty).
Wind-up (start) and Wind-up (end).
Sanguine (cheerful) and Sanguine (bloodthirsty).
Bolt (to secure in place) and Bolt (run away).

Lawyers delight !!
P
PS. Somefing else to do beside listening to radio --- oldsters !!
The sequence 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 incorporates another sequence: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2. Why?
A new street is built with one hundred new houses, numbered 1 to 100. How many number 9's are required to number all the houses?
Complete the sequence: O, T, T, F, F, S, S, ...
P

I said:
The sequence 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 incorporates another sequence: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2. Why?
A new street is built with one hundred new houses, numbered 1 to 100. How many number 9's are required to number all the houses?
Complete the sequence: O, T, T, F, F, S, S, ...
P

'.... Another sequence' =

' .... Number nines' =

'..... The sequence' =

P

Sponsored Links
pipme said:
I said:
: Complete the sequence: O, T, T, F, F, S, S, ...

Impossible to COMPLETE the sequence as it is infinite! However the next few terms are E, N, T, E, ...

Now for the houses... ;)

P

'.... Another sequence' =

' .... Number nines' =

'..... The sequence' =

P

Clever stuff - I managed to reply inside the quote box.
Now to try a reply OUTSIDE the quote box...... :evil:

"A new street is built with one hundred new houses, numbered 1 to 100. How many number 9's are required to number all the houses?" (Sorry pipme - I haven't quite managed the 'quote option' as yet)

18 number 9's, unless the 9 can also be used for houses needing a 6 - then you would require 36 numbers :oops:

BONG !! nelsy well tried. To get in the box I mean.

Ans is ...........
9 x 9's required from 9 to 89 .. then how many in the 90's ... 11, I reckon.
(99 is two of them!) 90-98 make up the other 9 !!
Therefore 20 nines required.
(Sixes req = 6-56=6 76-96=3 60-69=11 therefore ..again 20 sixes)

Two out on first answer and four out on an answer not asked for, tsk, tsk Hope your boss not watching. ;) ;) ;)
He who winks last, winks longest ... Wooo Hoo !
Hokay ?

Your Seq answer is correct. Apologies for missing a final letter, terminator, from the Question.

Write the first unanswered seq down, keep thinking !!

Apparently a guy from GCHQ Chelt took 48 secs to answer all three Q's including putting his specs on !!

Mind you, he gave the wrong answers anyway !!

P

pipme said:
BONG !! nelsy well tried. To get in the box I mean.

Ans is ...........
9 x 9's required from 9 to 89 .. then how many in the 90's ... 11, I reckon.
(99 is two of them!) 90-98 make up the other 9 !!
Therefore 20 nines required.
(Sixes req = 6-56=6 76-96=3 60-69=11 therefore ..again 20 sixes)

Two out on first answer and four out on an answer not asked for, tsk, tsk Hope your boss not watching. ;) ;) ;)
He who winks last, winks longest ... Wooo Hoo !
Hokay ?

Your Seq answer is correct. Apologies for missing a final letter, terminator, from the Question.

Write the first unanswered seq down, keep thinking !!

Apparently a guy from GCHQ Chelt took 48 secs to answer all three Q's including putting his specs on !!

Mind you, he gave the wrong answers anyway !!

P
He wasn't allowed to give out the correct answers as he'd signed the official secrets act :LOL:

That number sequence one, if it is like the one I am thinking of it is far too simple for anyone above the age of 6 to complete. Apparently young children can do it but adults can't as we assume it is complicated.

A friend of mine gave it to me and I couldn't figure the damn thing out, nor could my colleague who has a physics degree AND a maths degree (the first from Oxford, the second from Cambridge :confused: )

Ended up hearing some new swear-words invented as we were given the answer. :LOL:

I've remembered what it is: isn't it the number of pen strokes you use to write each number? :confused:

Well Done Adam,

That one had me beat! :confused: I should have found a delinquent 6 year old to help me. On second thoughts I'd have probably got beaten up for being stupid.

I couldn't figure out how 5 needed 2 strokes to write but I guess it depends on how you write it.

Quite a sneaky one pipme. Try this 2,1,2,2,2,1,2,2,...... The next two please. :)

Ok Waran, oi'll 'ave a pop squire !!

1,1,2,2,2,2,1,2,2,2,1,3,1,2,2,2,1,2,1,2,2,2,1,2,2, ;) 2,2 ;) ,2,1,3,

Next two digits or rows ?

All on one large Gin &Tonic ... damned hot here !

Is that somewhere near the answer you were looking for ?

P

13112221,1113213211, 31131211131221,13211311123113112211,
11131221133112132113212221, .......

Next number in seq please !! :mad:

I heard they had finished rebuilding Colussus Mk2, now we know where Pip works!

How are things down at Bletchley Park? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back