Another Ring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys!

I have a house which has a floor area of 130sqm (consisting of ground floor, 1st floor and cellar) and it only has 1 ring main.

I have installed a cooker cable to the kitchen for the hob and oven so theyre not on the ring any more, but need to add power to the living room (only 1 socket in there) and the cellar (no power yet).

I could extend the ring, but would it be a better idea to install a second ring for these two rooms? It would reduce the area the 1st ring is covering to 96sqm and would obviously reduce its load by two rooms. However i dont know whether this would be a waste of time, and would rather go with the easier option of extending the current ring if a second ring is not needed??

Sponsored Links
with a ring fused at 32A, if you run any two of washing machine, tumble drier, dishwasher, fan heater you have used up almost all of it the capacity. a third large appliance and you are over the rating.

So it is a good idea to give the kitchen its own ring, with plenty of sockets and appliance outlets.

Also it is usual these days to have a separate upstairs and downstairs ting.

Electrical installation in the kitchen is notifiable work, so is adding new curcuits, so it ould be less trouble to get an electrician in who is recomended and a member of a self-certification scheme.

ok - can i put the dishwasher on the 6mm with the hob and oven or is that too much for that cable too?

Sponsored Links
No - that's the cooker circuit, just for the oven & hob.

Electrical installation in the kitchen is notifiable work, so is adding new curcuits, so it ould be less trouble to get an electrician in who is recomended and a member of a self-certification scheme.
Bit late for that - he's already added a new circuit...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back