Another SDS Drill question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to the forum but far from new to DIY!

As Christmas is approaching, my relatives are pushing me to come up with my list of desirable presents.
I have a number of drills at home which I use for DIY. One of my most trusted drills is a hammer drill from Bosch with an input power of about 650W. I've used it all over the house and garden and have been very pleased with it.

The thought crossed my mind to suggest an SDS drill. I had in my mind something from Bosch or Makita with a price tag around the £100 mark. It would probably be a 2Kg model but I could stretch to a slightly beefier model if it makes sense.

Aside from the obvious benefits (if choosing correctly) of chisel action, will a decent 500-600W SDS drill and bit set be that much better at drilling holes through walls than my 600W hammer drill.

I realise that it's all a bit subjective. Any thoughts that you can offer are much appreciated.

Many thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
The drill bits are a better standard and there's no chuck to come undone :LOL:

fmfm20j said:
I'm new to the forum but far from new to DIY!

As Christmas is approaching, my relatives are pushing me to come up with my list of desirable presents.
I have a number of drills at home which I use for DIY. One of my most trusted drills is a hammer drill from Bosch with an input power of about 650W. I've used it all over the house and garden and have been very pleased with it.

The thought crossed my mind to suggest an SDS drill. I had in my mind something from Bosch or Makita with a price tag around the £100 mark. It would probably be a 2Kg model but I could stretch to a slightly beefier model if it makes sense.

Aside from the obvious benefits (if choosing correctly) of chisel action, will a decent 500-600W SDS drill and bit set be that much better at drilling holes through walls than my 600W hammer drill.

I realise that it's all a bit subjective. Any thoughts that you can offer are much appreciated.

Many thanks

Ian

SDS literally hammer their way thru, so the drill bits go thru easier. not so much difference when drillin small holes (5-7mm etc) but much easier for 16, 20 etc

Why not try the Bosch PBH 240 RE. I bought one of these after using a friends, it has both SDS and twistlock chucks also rotation stop for chiseling. The cables on these are 3m which really is a bonus.

It is only 620W but has served me very well with no problems using 4" diamond bits for flues etc. I really have given this drill a lot of use and would highly recommend it. Bosch also do the blue (pro) model of this but it is more expensive and I have to say I have not had any problems even with very heavy use. Hope this helps

Sponsored Links
I have a Makita HR2450. Cost about £120. I think it's the absolute dog's thingies. It just drills through anything easily. Has the rotation lock so you can chisel too - very useful. I showed my dad how fast it drilled through the preformed concrete sections of my garage and he was dumbfounded.
Gcol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back