Another shed botch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I saw a lovely shed circuit, described as new by the owner. Sadly I didn't have a camera with me but we still have more to do there so I'll take a pic if I get back there and it's not been corrected.
It's a 25A 30mA RCD hanging off the Henly block with 2.5mm2 singles, then 2 metres max of 2.5mm2 T&E to a shiny new steel CU in the shed with 3 off 16A and 1 off 6A MCB's.

Sponsored Links
As promised;
20161115_141736.jpg

Sponsored Links
:) Good luck!
Actually it was quite simple, a quick glance found a switch at both doors the 3c&e and the 5c 0.75mm flex go to 2 way switches.

Is that an 'official' seal on the cutout fuse holder? If it is, did they connect their singles to the Henly live?

Kind Regards, John
I assume yes to both but we don't know, the customer is a bit shady about how long it's been there but 'not long' is the most frequent answer.

What also doesn't show in the pic is the t&e passes through an unprotected hole in the back of the steel box which was drilled with a masonary bit by the looks of it.

The irony is the shed is beautifully wired with; out door DSSO's, plastic conduit and 4 RCBO's in a steel CU, he says he did the shed and a sparks did the feed. He reckons he was told by the sparks the 25A markings indicate it's an OCD as well as RCD and it was him that pointed out this part to us originally.

Did you make it safe, or at least write down its failings and get the customer to sign it?

Hope the circuit was on a CPD no bigger than 6A.
The customer is aware of the problem, it was he who asked our opinion initially. We have already run a SWA but he does not want it changed over until the warmer weather, as he has rabbits and tropical fish in there. We did persuade him to let us add a B20 MCB after the RCD as a temporary arrangement.

Lighting circuit is B6 MCB

We did persuade him to let us add a B20 MCB after the RCD as a temporary arrangement.

That's better than a slap in the belly with a wet fish!

Did you put the wayward RCD in the same enclosure as the MCB while you were at it?

That's better than a slap in the belly with a wet fish!

Did you put the wayward RCD in the same enclosure as the MCB while you were at it?

Why do that? It is not needed as the shed has all RCBO's, so get rid or it alltogether.

Well, there's already a third of a metre inside the house and it goes through a hole in the wall via an "unprotected hole in the back of the steel box".

I think for safety, the RCD should stay until the whole sub main is examined in detail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back