Ant damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question: how much damage can an ant infestation actually do to a property? I ask because we've moved into a bungalow in which the previous owner has gone round the building and slapped chunks of what looks like quick setting mortar on the outside walls, for no discernable reason other than maybe to seal random holes in the brickwork to try stop ants or other insects from getting in. The mortar doesn't match the original, so far I've found no large holes underneath it that might be caused by weathering or settlement and I've started removing it because its an eyesore. I only mention ants as the potential cause for this because since we arrived, we've spotted a nest or two at the base of the outside walls and we've treated these with gel.

Additionally, whilst decorating the lounge I found that the bottom of one of the skirting boards had extensive damage (there are no signs of damp) which had been patched up/ filled in, and I began to wonder whether it was due to damage by ants. I've heard of them causing minor damage by chewing holes to build and provide access to their nests, but never heard of them chewing away the bottom
half inch or so of a ten foot long piece of skirting. Is it possible that ants have done this? I intend to take off the damaged board and will ensure that any holes to the outside are filled in, and ant gel will be put down behind the skirting before I replace it.

Maybe when I DO remove this board, the source of the problem will no longer be open to question.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A deranged ant can chew its way through a floor joist in less than a week.

As foxhole says, most likely mice.

Cheers
Richard

Chortle chortle at the "deranged ant" comment.

I took the skirting board off and failed to find an ant infestation, nor even an ant cemetery. The cause of the damage remains a mystery (the wood is sound so I can discount dry rot) but I'll certainly keep an eye out for any leetle meeces.

Sponsored Links
I've heard of ants eating rigid insulation (for nests), never heard or think it at all likely to damage anything else.

Would be decay/mice/woodworm.

Thanks for that.

At first I thought that maybe the damage had been caused by years of previous occupiers painting the skirting board without masking off the carpet and leaving a build up of threads and dust, but on closer inspection it seemed more extensive than that and I began to consider ants. It was a relief to take the board off and find that it was sound and there was nothing but dust behind it.

All sorted now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back