Antenna outlet basic question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a Triax Unix 100 digi/analog UHF outdoor antenna (17 dB) installed on my home's wall. It's on a 6 m. mast, so high up there outdoors.

Just wondering -- my present antenna outlet indoors in the living room is a Teleste 061 (metal thingy). I read that that means it's a 6 dB outlet. Would discarding it, and installing a 17 dB, lead to better TV picture? After all, I notice that all antenna lead sold in stores is now 17 dB. Can somebody clarify this matter to me?

The cable used for the new TV antenna install was 75 Ohm.

Please advise asap.

Cheers,
RS

Sponsored Links
Rollingstone06 said:
I recently had a Triax Unix 100 digi/analog UHF outdoor antenna (17 dB) installed on my home's wall. It's on a 6 m. mast, so high up there outdoors.

A 6m mast? What sort of signal area do you live in?!

Rollingstone06 said:
Just wondering -- my present antenna outlet indoors in the living room is a Teleste 061 (metal thingy). I read that that means it's a 6 dB outlet. Would discarding it, and installing a 17 dB, lead to better TV picture? After all, I notice that all antenna lead sold in stores is now 17 dB. Can somebody clarify this matter to me?

Where did you read that information? When you say outlet, do you mean it's actually an outlet installed on the wall or the cable comes straight through the wall?

Either way, it sounds to me more like you're talking about an attenuator or a tap. If your current TV picture is fine then changing this part will give no improvement, but if you're getting a poor signal then I'd question the job your aerial installer has done.

Oh, and never heard of 17db antenna lead either. Are you referring to the attenuation of the cable over a specific distance, say 100ft or 100m?

Hi Electronics,

Actually, I should have updated my profile. I'm now living in Finland. It's on a 6m. mast (new antenna), as other neighbours have here, cos got one large hill to get past, but the base station is only 3 km. away.

About the antenna outlet, I meant the indoor socket where one plugs the antenna in. (Left side marked "TV", right side marked "R" for radio, I guess.)

Here's a link so you can see what I mean:

http://www.finnsat.fi/kauppapaikka/docs/Xvv-APS_rasiat.pdf

Outside, as I said, there's now a 17 dB antenna. So, what do you think? Good to change indoor socket?

Btw, we now only have digi TV broadcasts here. Signal is good on some channels, but on others, picture cuts out. Installer suggested I change my digibox first (had a cheap Philips DTR220 -- possibly faulty), and then if the picture comes on and off intermittently on some of the channels, then he said he'd have to return to give a small direction-tweak of the outdoor antenna.

Please advise asap, and really appreciate your input!

//RS

electronicsuk said:
Rollingstone06 said:

A 6m mast? What sort of signal area do you live in?!

Rollingstone06 said:

Where did you read that information? When you say outlet, do you mean it's actually an outlet installed on the wall or the cable comes straight through the wall?

Either way, it sounds to me more like you're talking about an attenuator or a tap. If your current TV picture is fine then changing this part will give no improvement, but if you're getting a poor signal then I'd question the job your aerial installer has done.

Oh, and never heard of 17db antenna lead either. Are you referring to the attenuation of the cable over a specific distance, say 100ft or 100m?

The cable used for the new TV antenna install was 75 Ohm.

Please advise asap.

Cheers,
RS

6 dB and 17 dB relate to the gain of the array, bit of a fudge really because as a passive device it can't actually have any gain, but it means that the number of reflectors/directors are such that the beam pattern has been elongated and made more directional, meaning it will recieve weaker signals and appear to amplify them.

In general wide beamwidth equals low gain, narrow beamwidth equals high gain. So your new AE will pull in weaker signals more efficiently this also makes it far more picky about being pointed in the right direction.

http://www.marcspages.co.uk/tech/antgain.htm

75 Ohm Cable is fine and i seriously doubt your wall plate is causing any problems, if anything you may be providing too high a signal level to the digital receiver which could be causing your problems.

I wouldn't change the indoor socket not upwards anyway, at that distance from the AE you are going to boost your noise by exactly the same amount as your signal. I would try running a new cable direct from the array to your receiver and then try repointing as a 17dB antenna is going to be a highly directional pain in the a@#e.

Sponsored Links
Also if all your TV is digital you need the ability to monitor signal strength when repointing, if your digital decoder box doesn't have this ability then you will either have to get one that does or get hold of a signal strength meter.

Thanks, guys, for the responses. You've guided me excellently. I now know I'll stick with my current antenna socket.

LeeeJC, thanks in particular for the antenna gain link, which really did put things into perspective! I will, indeed, buy a new antenna lead today (to replace my aging +15 years old one) for my new digibox and see the effect it has. Thereafter, if pic still dropping on several digi channels, I'll call in the antenna bloke to tweak the antenna's direction.

Great forum here...also appreciated the quick responses.

Cheers,
RS :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back