Anti back-siphonage valves on Combis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can tell me if it is a requirement (according to Water Byelaws or any other regulation) for combi boilers to be fitted with an anti back-siphonage valve?

If there is such a requirement, are they fitted to the boilers or does the installer have to fit the valve?

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
If it has a built in filling loop then it will have a non return valve fitted internally. All external filling loops come with the valve as part of the kit.
I have seen non return valves fitted to the cold mains below the boiler when there's been a problem with flow switches/sensors being activated when a cold water tap is opened. This can happen when there are issues with dead legs and air pockets on the hot water pipe work.

Thanks. Does this mean under normal circumstances, the mains cold water inlet to a combi will not have a non return valve fitted?

The reason I ask is that the electrical safety standard for boilers, EN 60335-1 requires appliances fed from the water mains to be fitted with a non return valve. If combis are not normally fitted with such a valve, I need to good reason to justify why any boiler I test does not have one fitted.

Sponsored Links
And if you must fit a non-return valve before the cold inlet to a combi you need to fit a mini expansion vessel to allow for the expansion of the hot water otherwise premature failure of components/leaks will become a very real problem.

He didn't say they DONT, he said they DO under normal circumstances

I thought he implied that an internal filling loop will always have a valve fitted but the mains water inlet would only have a valve fitted if there are problems with flow sensors/switches

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back