anti freeze for central heating systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in the frozen north of Scotland and frequently am away from home in the winter. I would like to ensure that my central heating system/radiators do not freeze when I am away (draining every time is a pain). Which additive will work down to -15c.. someone suggested car anti-freeze. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
David937. Thanks...the cost seems to be somewhat large given the concentration required (estimate £200). Is there a cheaper solution?

The anti-freeze should be propylene-glycol. Don't try to save money by using cheaper ethylene-glycol (normal car type), if you have a leak between CH and HW, you may die.

Sponsored Links
best bet is to drain down for long periods of absence. or have a frost stat WITH a pipe stat fitted, or easiest of all leave the programmer set to 24rs on heating and set room stat to 10 - 15 this will fire the heating when it gets cold preventing the pipes from freezing. Long term fix is to get the frost stat and pipe stat.

Thanks everyone...sounds like the frost stat and the pipe stat is the long term way forward

Anti-freeze will protect whatever. Frost stat only protects if you have power and fuel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back