Anti social positioning of boiler flue objection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening

I have just been hit by the Parish Council with an objection to my planning application, and one of the listed reasons was an anti-social location of a boiler flue. My proposed boiler flue location on the side elevation of my house, at the very front of the house, and at a height of about 2 metres from the ground. It is 9 metres from my neighbour's house, and over 2 metres from their front garden (and the very front of their front garden I should add). I can see existing boiler flues within 3 metres of neighbouring houses throughout my road. How on earth can they possibly think this is a material planning objection? Other planning applications with relocated boiler flues have passed through the council without comment, including one on the house opposite mine, and their relocated boiler flue is again within 3 metres of the neighbouring house. I can only conclude my neighbour went along to the meeting and raised this issue. And the Council just went along with it. Is there any chance I can persuade the councillors to reconsider their objection, which seems ridiculous on the face of it?

I should note I don't have permitted development rights as they were removed in 1966 when the estate I live on was built.

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Common sense would normally prevail regarding boundaries and extensions and pluming.
Your plans should have povided details of plume managenment parallel or back towards your property to mitigate objections.
Vertical through the roof if single storey is always preferred.
Really you should not of included details of boiler position on your plans.

Thanks for your reply.

The flue is to be located in a downstairs room (utility room) of a two storey house, so venting through the roof is not entirely desirable. I could conceivably extend the flue upwards on the side of the house to a greater height, which I hope might mitigate concerns?

Omit the boiler, say your having electric.

Get the permission, change back to gas boiler - which is not a planning issue and needs no permission.

Sponsored Links
Find a better way of doing it. We had a side flue for an old boiler, the big old square thing. Without thinking about it, this was replaced with a modern combi boiler. I was embarassed to see the jet of steam firing horizontally from our house to next door's and spewing sideways under their soffit, making its way up through their vents into their loft.

I didn't wait for them to complain, I had it moved to the back wall so it sprayed into our back garden instead.

There's a big difference between the old vents that lazily wafted into the air and modern ones that fire outwards horizontally. It's definitely anti-social to point one at a neighbour's house.

It may be that the council have become more aware of this issue in recent years. Mistakes of the past don't mean that we have to continue the same way.

Could you vent out of the front instead? Alternatively they can go upwards out of your roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back