Antique unit too big for stair corners - what can I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought an Edwardian cabinet to put upstairs. I measured the doors, space for it to go into thought it'd work so bought it... but hit a snag on getting it around the first of 2 corners (and that's the easier corner).

Is there any advice on what to do? The unit is beautiful workmanship - mahogany, tongue and groove and a lot of nails. I unscrewed what I could to see if it had any obvious disassembly points but too much is nailed in.

The problem is that the legs are too long so I can't make the turn and they run the height of the unit. I can't use a hoist as the room it's to go into doesn't have a big enough window. I'm in London if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Dimensions are 1020mm high x 600mm at its deepest x 970mm wide.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am surprised that you can't get that upstairs- they must be very tight

All I can suggest is to mock up a cardboard box with legs to try every which way
Is there a landing? Have you tried going up the stairs part way then lifting straight up to go over the landing banister?

Thanks both, yes I have the box planned once I get myself enough. I would lift over the handrail but the upper staircase comes down too low and prevents this.

Tigercubrider, apologies my post probably wasn't clear it's not so much that that the stairs are tight it's that the landing is too tight (even with door open) for me to get the unit it and reverse it for the next landing. Real headscratcher and am contemplating the nuclear option of chopping the rear two legs as that's what's preventing me for turning it, the legs are just so long. That's the very last resort and not at all ideal.

Sponsored Links
The rest got up by backing into the rooms at each landing or swivelling into a new position on the landing, it seems that all the other furniture, even the bulky bits, seemed to either be just the right size or have the right gaps in them to allow tilting around the awkward spots.

Can you take the doors off? You might be able to put some of the newel inside the cupboard and rotate it over.

That's not a bad idea Ian, I have taken off part of the back panel and could do that too.

what about trying to put it through an upstairs window, in another room and then take it through to where you want it .

So I could get the box upstairs...

But it meant elevating it to head height to rotate over the newel posts, so holding and turning. Even if I took off the doors it's still a heavy piece of furniture and it was a tight fit.

Is it likely that removal teams would have the skills to do this? I know that they are experts but unless there are special tools (presumably costly ones) they'd need to have strong arms and backs to do that.

PS - no, getting it through another window is also not possible

removal guys perform miracles. If it fits in any way at all they will do it.....its their job:) no special tools reqd just some confidence and muscle....

PS I'm not a mover but I've done loads of this sort of stuff ie holding heavy furniture above head height with a n other- you just got to make sure those doing it have alot of experience of this sort of thing

another trick is wrap a thick sponge over the newel post so you can balance the cabinet on the post whilst you have a breather and consider your next move!

they'd need to have strong arms and backs to do that.

They do.

A friend tells a story about a guy whose job was to carry pianos up and down stairs.
The removal team would spend hours moving all the "normal" stuff, then this huge bloke would turn up and spend five minutes just shifting the piano.

I've taken out and replaced complete sash windows in the past to get big bits of furniture in or out. Not been asked to do it for a while, though

For those interested or for others coming here in the future, I took Matz's advice and found a professional removal firm. Mortimer removals of Greenwich took about 2mins to move it and were worth every penny, it's now in place and looking good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back