Drilled holes too big for furniture lock -what can I use to cover up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting cam/furniture locks in particle board
(I think it is - Ikea kitchen doors was really difficult to drill, looks like compressed cardboard of something - worse than chipboard or mdf - kind of thing that blunts drill bits -or in my case hole drill bit)
First couple were ok - got progressively worse - by the last one I was tired/fed up/ran out of patience, hole drill was blunt and also was at a bit of an angle so hard to get drill straight....(I know completely my own stupid fault)
I must have got a bit of a wobble - so the hole is a teeny bit too big. I haven't tightened it up cos I think if I do it might pull through.
I need something that looks ok to cover up my mistake ...I guess some kind of washer? I do have a bit of spare length but something that is not too thick.
I've done countless internet searches but I can't find anything suitable - wondering if there is something with a 'special ' name (I'm sure I can't be the only idiot to do something like this)
Also possibly what kind of shop would sell something like this? (I also struggled to find the strike plates/catches for them - I did get some off ebay but they are a bit small - wondering if I am using the wrong terms for them/looking in the wrong places for them too)
I did find an American site that said something about adapter or reducer rings ...but I can't find them anywhere.
Honestly I could probably do with a couple as you can just about see the chips around the edge of a couple too -I might do them all so they look the same.
Thanks for any help/advice...

Sponsored Links
you can get camlock washers and ferrules (usually for 18mm board but possibly other sizes)

post some photos please.

the washers are shaped to fit the flats on the barrel to prevent forcing by rotation.

this sort of thing (may not be correct size for you)

889861.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks
Can't take photos at the moment - I'm not where they are....will try and take some tomorrow.
I was thinking of getting some of the spiked washers for the backs anyway -the locks are only cheap ones and don't come with them. (The locks are mainly for show -a mild deterrent. It is actually for a charity I work for - we have been told as it is a shared hall we need to keep our food in lockable cupboards so it can't be 'tampered with' :rolleyes:.) I'm worried about the locks working loose and starting to spin in the holes from frequent use
That ferrule looks like just the thing I need -but I can't see the dimensions anywhere? will it be 22mm in length?
And I have just had a revelation - I should have used a flat drill bit instead of the hole drill bit -would have been easier.
Thanks again

Fantastic - from that last site you linked to I can see exactly what I want - they are called rosettes! Now I just need to decide what size I need...
I'm going to have a good look around that site - it also sells 'angle striking plates'.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back