drilling holes in slate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've managed to get hold of some old slate roof tiles, in various states of repair... I'm wanting to use them for the roof of a covered bird table, but some of them will need to be cut, and drilled so they can be fixed.

So, the question... Do i need a special drill bit to drill out the new holes? I understand these would have been punched originally, could this also be an option for a small job like this?

All I could find on the web were questions about using core drills for larger hole in bit bits, any ideas or experience in this?

Sponsored Links
a small masonry drill will suffice.
cut or bore slates from the back to retain the chamfered edges.
you can cut them using a thin piece of metal or axe.
when slating your bird table start by using the heaviest slates first finishing with lighter as you get to top.

060810180.jpg

Sponsored Links
Or you could make the bird table to the size of your slate.

That's what I did, using an old Ikea pine bedside table thingy for the main structure of the bird-table, which happened to be just the right size so that two slates fitted at 90 degrees to their normal orientation could be stuck on the roof with a bit of pine profile to make the ridge.

The sparrows love it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back