Unable to drill 60mm hole - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I attempted to mount a TV bracket plus some shelves today in a bedroom. Both the items required 60mm depth holes using 8/10 mm bits.

I have managed to drill the holes for the TV but am hitting a brick wall when I am drilling the holes for the shelves - literally. Picture attached.

There are 2 sets of holes for the shelves. One below the TV and the other to the right of the TV. For the holes below, I was able to drill one hole correctly but for the other holes, the drill would not go beyond 30-40 mm. For the holes on the right, not one of them is drilling beyond 30-40 mm.

I have tried to drill the holes using the same bit type but when I got stuck, I tried the bits for wood, concrete and masonry but to no avail. I also tried using a smaller bit but that did not help.

I am also attaching a pic of the drill in terms of its settings for drill / hammer. This is the default setting that it has been on for like forever.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you. View media item 54569 View media item 54570

Sponsored Links
do you know anyone who owns an sds drill?
i personally think the drill/bits you have are not up to the job,an sds will be like a knife through soft butter.

you are using a masonary drill bit kashifmehmood with the little "wings"on ??

Sponsored Links
I can't tell if your electric drill is set to "hammer" or not. Presumably the instructuons are lost.

Push the orange slider to the other side and try again.

Don't allow any of the dust to get into the TV or other electronic equipment as it will be damaged.

I would agree with John D, check to ensure that your drill is on the 'hammer' setting or you will not be able to complete the job.

There might be other material in that wall. Looks like a chimney breast, so you could be hitting a reinforced concrete lintel, metal arch or if you're really lucky, a cast iron fireplace.

Drill is set to rotary, slide over switch for a mickey mouse hammer action or use an SDS drill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back