Any advice appreciated for condemned boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just had routine annual service and engineer has placed an ID label on my Ideal Classic LXFF FF260 and isolated it. Apparently he says he is getting combustion readings in the kitchen and a very small issue outside with the flue. Said the case seals are probably faulty. Fan also wobbly on the bearings? Reading on the gas flue analyser 0.2 but not sure if this was CO2 or CO and haven’t a clue what he was talking about...insects crawling into the flue and dying being burnt up and causing poisonous gases to enter the boiler and then my kitchen. Never had to replace a boiler so would like to know if I should get a second opinion or now it has this sticker on it can this be looked at by another engineer? Boiler has been checked annually but do appreciate it’s old now. Just panicking about the lack of boiler and costs to replace vs repair. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Sponsored Links
If it was a large national company then try a local independent guy or small company.

one of the most reliable boilers ever made, get a decent engineer that knows the boiler and it will out live you, no need to replace it

Sponsored Links
Reading on the gas flue analyser 0.2 but not sure if this was CO2 or CO

It will be neither.

and haven’t a clue what he was talking about...insects

Neither does he.

appreciate it’s old now

Still an excellent boiler.

Fan also wobbly on the bearings?

Oh dear.. Worst case scenario is a new fan needed.. Assuming he's not talking booloocks. Which he is.

@shambolic should be able to confirm all spares are available certainly for your issues Assuming they aren't fabricated.

Thankyou everyone some really helpful comments and I will take this advice & get a second opinion. Apparently it was CO2 reading on the analyser he hooked the probe over my ceiling light to get this reading. Didn’t leave me a print out of any readings either. It’s a free annual service/check that comes with the cover plan I have purchased - but that company allocates you an engineer from their database and he has his own independent heating contractor company. Thanks again

Case seals available, fan available and rope combustion seals between hex and burner box and hex and top flue box all available.
Should fix the combustion issues no problem.

get someone who knows what they are doing, nothing with that boiler that can not be sorted, if you cant find a decent engineer go for an Ideal fixed price repair

Apparently it was CO2 reading on the analyser he hooked the probe over my ceiling light to get this reading.
Well that's not the correct way of doing a room test to start with. I wonder whether he held the CMDDA1 qualification for room testing? I suspect not.

This is a common problem with cover plans - they are very very rarely good value for money. It's almost always better to keep the money in your bank account to pay a friendly local engineer when you need them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back