any advice on slating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can someone advise me the best way of removing odd size slates from a end terrace & felt & batten then put back the origional slates , thanks rob

Sponsored Links
first off remove slates , then dress/re-cut i tend to do all the tails of the slates re/hole any that need new holes and cut off unsightly holes like big looking ones, Make a size stick easy way is put a nail through a piece of tile batten an inch down from the top, from the nail mark down 11 inchs then going either way from the 11 mark half inch intervals you then number these the rule being an 11 inch slate is always an 11 so a 12 is 11 and a half a 13 is 12 inch etc. once you've made the size stick size the says slates its better sizing in half inchs as this will give you much more accurate sizing and allow you to get more cover out the slates you have and sizes you have that aren't enough for a course you mix into another size and the purpose of the nail is you then put that in the head nail of the slate and where the tail lands on your size stick is the size of the slate

Sponsored Links
theres certain way to change gauges to when your dropping down sizes and you start longest at bottom always and aim to get a minimum side lap of 2 inch and always aim to get 2 inch cover past the nail hole

I would imagine that the importance of the 2" cover past the nail hole can vary depending on the pitch.
ie: Steep pitch may not need so much cover as a shallow pitch.

Good info there from Scotish Slater.
As said you have have to drop your battens when changing courses.
We leave nearly 75mm head lap on random sized stone slates, as quite a few have shoulders missing.

first off remove slates , then dress/re-cut i tend to do all the tails of the slates re/hole any that need new holes and cut off unsightly holes like big looking ones, Make a size stick easy way is put a nail through a piece of tile batten an inch down from the top, from the nail mark down 11 inchs then going either way from the 11 mark half inch intervals you then number these the rule being an 11 inch slate is always an 11 so a 12 is 11 and a half a 13 is 12 inch etc. once you've made the size stick size the says slates its better sizing in half inchs as this will give you much more accurate sizing and allow you to get more cover out the slates you have and sizes you have that aren't enough for a course you mix into another size and the purpose of the nail is you then put that in the head nail of the slate and where the tail lands on your size stick is the size of the slate
Thanks you for the post.

Sponsored Links
Back