any advice with roof repairs whilst dealing with other leaseholders?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am one of three flats in a period conversion - all three leaseholders own a share of the freehold for their respective flat. I have an issue with damp, which is caused by issues with the roof - which has been discussed with both parties, yet both seem really not bothered by the fact it needs to be addressed - obviously because it is not currently causing issues with their properties.

I have spoken to them several times, but they aren't being overly responsive. Does anyone have any advice from similar situations they have been in with other leaseholders? I am now currently wondering whether buying the share of the freehold was in fact worth it because my neighbours (partly because one set are so selfish..)

help please!!

Sponsored Links
It's very simple, you are responsible for repairs as leaseholder and as freeholder, the lease will set out the difference. If it's the freeholders' responsibility, then your fellow freeholders must pay their share, but they must also agree to the works in the first place. I'm guessing you have the top floor flat.

If you post some pics in the builders/roofers forum you will get some free advice/observations on the problem and its potential impact.

Blup

If repairs are required to the common parts, then normally the lease would state that the costs are split equally between all leaseholders.

What does the lease say about notifying such works under the section 20 process? This process is key, as if it is not followed, then charges may not always be recoverable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back