buying some land - freeholder / leaseholder ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'd like to buy a little bit of land from the neighbouring property, to build an extension on. It's an unused corner at the bottom of their garden, and I don't think any of the occupiers would miss it.

Said neighbouring property happens to be enormous house that has been subdivided into 9 flats, each with their own leasehold. The freeholder is a commercial company, not located locally. I believe the leaseholders do not have a share-of-freehold arrangement.

I was thinking to write to the Freeholder to see if they'd be interested in selling me the land. But would they even be allowed to sell me part of the garden, because presumably the leaseholders have some rights too?

Not sure how to proceed - any advice greatly appreciated!
I don't much fancy having to negotiate with 10 parties... :(

Thanks in advance,

~ Muppetina.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, yup, I did use the land registry service. At that address they have one register entry for the freehold, and separate register entries for each of the 9 leasholds. I downloaded the title registry for the freeholder.

My assumption is that the freeholder owns the garden, and each leaseholder has rights to shared use of it.

So the question is.... who do I approach to offer to buy some of the garden ? :confused:

you cant make any assumption the leasehold will only tell you who can use any part as in building land or even roof space
the actual building belongs to the lease holders the land belongs to the free holder but lease holders may have actual rights but only to use it as part off there lease

i would start with the lease holders and ask what they think they are entitled to
but whatever happens the freeholder owns the rights the lease holder only ever owns the rental option on the land for the length off the lease and will never be owned by them unless they buy outright

Sponsored Links
You would have to ask, and deal with the freeholder. If need be, they would then deal with the leaseholders

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back