Was planning permission needed for this garden office?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the further responses! Martgunner, I believe the issue here is that we're in a conservation area subject to Article 4. That is why there is a distinction between flats and houses. Building a home office is not a permitted development in the case of a flat, whereas it would be for a house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No there is no distinction between flats and houses...its a home with a garden which are all are allowed outbuildings...its just a shed in planning. It only becomes something else when you sleep in it or have a bathroom fitted...
:oops:

There is a big difference between flats and houses in planning law. One has PD rights, one does not.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately, when it comes to shared gardens there can often be challenges. For example one person/family might use their space more dominantly e.g. out there a lot, people having bbq's etc. This can discourage the less dominant people/families from using their spaces. Not saying it's right however that's often the way it is.

When you say your kitchen's on the second floor, do you mean two floors up i.e. ground floor, first floor then second floor (kitchen)? If yes, surely they can't see that much of what's going on if they're in a ground floor office? Unless your rooms have longer windows i.e. that go closer to floor level but even then.

You could always cover the bottom third of the glass with something like this?

It's a long, slightly thin garden that is split into two private gardens, with the rear garden having their own side-door and (practically unused) pathway. The front half of the garden belongs to the leasehold house, the back half to the council tenants. So the council tenants are free to do whatever they want in their section, but they may feel they are encroaching on their neighbours' privacy by accessing it. Immigrant council tenants vs. well-off private leaseholders may be a factor, too.

We're on a slope so the levels are slightly off-kilter. My kitchen is on the first floor, but at a height that really it feels like second. The 'ground' floor below me is some distance above ground level. And the lowest, 'lower ground' level, is just a few feet below the level of the side return.

I doubt I can be seen in much of my kitchen but certainly when I'm at the sink. Yes, covering the lowest panes of my sash window seems the best solution as far as the impact on me is concerned. A bottom-up blind would look nicest I think.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
By the way it's surely not taller than 2.5 metres and it's not used to sleep in, so those wouldn't be issues here.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No there is no distinction between flats and houses...its a home with a garden which are all are allowed outbuildings...its just a shed in planning. It only becomes something else when you sleep in it or have a bathroom fitted...
Err say what?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local