Any Air rifle shooters in here

I took my shotgun to work once and coming home in our banged up transit a mate started shooting out the window at birds as we drove home.

Some guy rings the police saying the uvf tried to take a pot shot at him and we get arrested at gunpoint by heavily armed police officers before we reached home. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I still have two air rifles from a long time ago,a BSA airsporter and a Original 35b. I haven't used them in years but am reluctant to sell them. Are they worth anything these days?.

Could be, depending on condition. Try some photos on airgunbbs.com. You could be pleasantly surprised.

Sponsored Links
Baconsdozen, Hi

As stillip posts there is a "retro" collectors market, price you will command is dependant on condition.

There are sites that will sell all of the various components of the rifle so as a project you could do a "make over" of the rifle by replacing all the worn components.

Prices as far as I can see range from £ 50 for rifle in "beat up condition" to £ 140 / £150 for a "collector" piece?

A nice little "winter project" and a small earner as well?

Cheers.

Ken

I got the rifle down from the loft,its been so long that I looked at it that I'd forgotten its a type 50 not 35B. Its a underlever .22 and has a telescopic sight. I also have a BSA Airsporter but I'm keeping that and selling the Original.

Used to have a Jackal .22, which was very accurate could knock nails in at 30 feet with tel sight fitted. Police gave it a funny look when stopped with it in my car, it's modelled on an assault rifle.

I am very surprised you weren't arrested for potentially committing a firearms offence. The law requires air rifles must be transported in a bag, be unloaded, be being transported to a place where it is permissble to use it I.e. gun club or land where you have permission to use the rifle assuming the land is suitable or you have reasonable cause to have it in public I.e. moving. If being transported by a car it must be in boot. 14-18 year old are not allowed to transport air riles unless accompanied by an adult. Failure to comply with these laws are a firearms offence.

I've got a TX200 a HW90 and a couple Meteors all in 0.22, I've not used 'em in a while, not since my favourite permission changed hands.
:(

groovynooby, hi.

If you fancy it have a look at HFT? a sport that is extremely competitive and involves shooting Air Weapons.

As you probably know this "sport" uses air weapons to shoot at metal targets at various ranges. The target zones on the targets vary wildly depending on distance from the shooter.

As an aside the most recent International so called "Worlds" England and [where I live] Scotland did not do too well, GB needs some good shooters to get up the league tables.

There may be a problem. 0.177 is the "preferred" calibre for HFT, it appears that .177 is more accurate over all distances as in HFT from 8 to 45 yards than a .22

Don't get me started on .177 / .22 arguments, let alone telescopic sights, or the choice of actual air rifle. You would not believe the costs of some of these weapons.

Ken.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your post, I have had a bash at HFT using a borrowed HW100, it was in the less manly 0.177 calibre, I had a good time but it was not really my cup of tea (blimmin' challenging though!) as I prefer to plink for fun rather than compete.

I used to enjoy the hunt but as I've gotten older I find I prefer to watch my quarry rather than kill it, so I think the only use my rifles are likely to get in the future will be for plinking should I find another plink friendly permission; my garden would be ideal but unfortunately the wife wont entertain it. :(

I can't see me getting shot (excuse the pun) of my rifles because I love them, especially the HW, but I don't envisage them getting much use either; It's a shame that times have changed so much... as a kid I'd be up 'n over the fields with my Meteor in hand but nowadays I'd probably end up having a chat with the local ARU. :(

Enjoy your shooting! :D

Used to have a Jackal .22, which was very accurate could knock nails in at 30 feet with tel sight fitted. Police gave it a funny look when stopped with it in my car, it's modelled on an assault rifle.

I am very surprised you weren't arrested for potentially committing a firearms offence. The law requires air rifles must be transported in a bag, be unloaded, be being transported to a place where it is permissble to use it I.e. gun club or land where you have permission to use the rifle assuming the land is suitable or you have reasonable cause to have it in public I.e. moving. If being transported by a car it must be in boot. 14-18 year old are not allowed to transport air riles unless accompanied by an adult. Failure to comply with these laws are a firearms offence.
No firearms offense it was in a bag, in a case ,in the boot and air rifles were not covered by those laws.

No firearms offense it was in a bag, in a case ,in the boot and air rifles were not covered by those laws.

I am afraid I beg to differ, air rifles are covered by some firearms laws.

Hi all.

I think that the post by foxhole is referring to an historic event?

in days of yore the legislation was shall we say lax, by todays standards where Health and Safety RULES!

And I say quite correct, air weapons are to be treated as FIREARMS, but over a shorter distance, on a good day, a really good day I can hit a target at 55 yards with my .177 Pellet. when I shoot .22 rimfire I can score 94 / 98 out of 100 but inconsistent

I digress, there is a new proposed law in Scotland that will require all owners of air so called " weapons, rifles and pistols" to obtain a license to own and shoot an air gun, likewise all clubs, and there are not many of them will need to be licensed.

We seem to have moved full circle here? in that what has been posted here and the post above have moved us all on to a new and hopefully safer ground?

Present law, up here is generally.
1/. Plinking in your back garden is prohibited if there is any chance of the pellet leaving your land.
2/. Hunting, or vermin control can only be undertaken on land that you have written permission to hunt over.
3/ You can not shoot an air weapon within a set number of meters / yards from the centre line of a public road.

From here the list goes on and on.

If you consider things, all the above are simple things that air rifle shooters will readily conform to, it is the minority of mindless sometimes drug addicted idiots that use air weapons to take pot shots at cats, Swans, general wildlife and in one seriously notable case a young child, yes a young child was killed by an air rifle, the perpetrator was jailed BUT?

Is the proposed Scottish legislation proportionate to actually control air weapons?

on a complete flyer here, the Commonwealth Games are coming to Scotland fine great.
BUT where are the shooting events to take place?
In a little known suburb of Glasgow called "Barry Budden" this venue is situated on an old MOD establishment sited about 2 Hrs. north and east of Glasgow
This all signing and dancing facility with electronic targets for Shotgun, Full bore long range, Full bore short range, .22 long and short, air rifle, air pistol, free pistol [don't ask] has or is being built..

After the games are over what happens? ---- the entire thing is torn down and thrown away---- what does that say about the Scottish governments commitment to sport?

As an aside if the Air weapons legislation comes into force any so called "visitor" will have to get a temporary License to bring there air guns into the country?

Legislation? we are now awash with it?

Cheers all thanks with reading my RANT?

Ken

Maybe a little over legislated, some of the rules seem pretty sensible, some a little draconian.

Methinks thats just an internet myth.

I really don't think they can send countermeasures like that and destroy a hand held radar gun. Just like I didn't believe it when I first heard the story some 15+ years ago.

E.C.M.S COULD DO THAT SORT OF DAMAGE BUT I DOUBT IF A RADAR GUN COULD ACTUALLY HIT A SPEEDING JET At that range

Sponsored Links
Back