Any camera experts, advise reguired please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rather than pay out I want to DIY but not in the usual building sense
So apoligies if in the wrong section.

I am going to obtain approx 200 old square photo slides of the family and want to somehow transfer them cheaply to a computer.
I have seen things like this , they appear to screw on to a camera or video camera.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Video-Camera-...ryZ11724QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone know how I could connect it to a canon ixus 950 digital camera as my lens zooms in and out at different diameters.
Or is there another type I could use.
I also read you can use a scanner, but not sure how that works as they are so small.
Any advise appreciated.
thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
you can get a purpose-built slide scanner rather than try to fix something to your camera. I think that is the best bet. Something like
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLYMPUS-ES-10...ryZ15223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Lots of them around secondhand as people use then to copy their old collections and then don't need them.

some desktop scanners also come with an adaptor to scan slides. "Which" did a report on them but it is on their members-only site. Can you see
image-114132.jpg

They say:
Still got boxes of slides tucked away on top of the wardrobe? By scanning them to your computer and turning them into digital images, you can give them a new lease of life; print them out, save them to disc or spruce them up with image-editing software (see our review of photo-editing software).

All you’ll need is a scanner with a slide scanning attachment (see our Best Buy scanners) and a computer. Follow our step-by-step guide to find out how to scan a slide.

It appears to be in their June 2007 issue which you should be able to consult at the library.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks john
Dont think it is worth spending a lot though as most of them will never be looked at again.
I want something under a tenner, otherwise It would be cheaper to take the good ones in to be done.
I will look out for that type you showed, maybe able to get one cheaper.

The one I showed will fit on my hi8 video camera,that has phono outputs, is there a way to link that to a pc do you know

video capture card?

how about a torch with a white piece of paper on it then put the slide on that?

set camera to macro and take a picture

Sponsored Links
yes I have a HP 7210 scanner.

I have not got the slides yet but was gonna try them on there first to see what happens.

I was quessing lay them out like a grid, scan them and edit them to size on the computer somehow.

If that fails I might get the thing breezer said as that may be usefull for my old holiday vids, I dont mind paying out for that,
if I also get the thing off e- bay for a fiver, that will also sort the slides.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back