Any cool tricks to help me split lighting in the kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

In my kitchen I have spot lights over the cooking area and a pendant light over the breakfast table that share the same switch. I want to split this out into two separate switches. I can access the lighting circuit easily on the loft, but when I try to thread another cable down, it seems to hit a horizontal noggin (?). Is there any cool trade trick I can get round this, or I will have to cut out the plaster to guide it through the noggin?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Can you tie a drawstring onto the existing switch cable, pull that up into the loft, attach another cable to that and pull them both back down?

Maybe pull a three core and earth back down and share the permanent live between both switches if the space is tight?

Or take off the sheathing and just pull the wires through if that’s allowed?

I'm not an electrician by the way!

Last edited:
I use multiple extension drill bit holders and a spade bit to drill down through noggins from above...
Just make sure you stay within the 'safe zones', so either pull the old cable out and enlarge the hole, or drill another hole next to the existing one.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
DSC_6061r.jpg
The relay in the loft space. Landing-light-relay-instructions2.jpgLanding-light-relay-instructions2.jpgI have included the instructions, I wanted a low light to go to the bathroom at night, but good lighting at other times, so I fitted a relay.
The centre bulb DSC_6799.jpg is on the switch, the outer bulbs use phone app or google mini to turn on, so simple "hey google turn on landing lights" gets all, and "hey google turn on switch inner" gets just centre, or "hey google turn on switch outer" gets just outer lights.

Been running now for around 9 months, and very pleased with it, I do now wish the relay had been put outside the fitting so I could easy change it, but that's hind sight.

As a P.S. details on box DSC_6060.jpg but any smart lights will do the same, the question is the default state, power cut leaves relay off, also leaves wall light switches off, but my smart bulbs default on, I am told some like Philips Hue you can set the default, I got a three GU10 light bar from Lidi with three smart bulbs and a remote control, the remote has holes in back which allow wall mounting.

The kinetic switch also does not need wires, basic same idea as my relay, and I am sure many others.

Well, I did say I wasn’t an electrician! :ROFLMAO:

BTW, why isn’t it allowed? When my mate (who is an electrician) rewired a workshop for me, he used single wires in round metal tubing that he had to cut, bend and cut threads on for joining as well as in that square metal boxing/trunking too.

Hi everyone,

In my kitchen I have spot lights over the cooking area and a pendant light over the breakfast table that share the same switch. I want to split this out into two separate switches. I can access the lighting circuit easily on the loft, but when I try to thread another cable down, it seems to hit a horizontal noggin (?). Is there any cool trade trick I can get round this, or I will have to cut out the plaster to guide it through the noggin?

Many thanks!
What number of cores (wires) do you have at the light switch?

A photo would be incredibly helpful here.

If you have many cores there will probably be a way of fitting a junction box in the loft and juggling things about to make things work how you want it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back