Any easy way of stopping my cylinder constantly getting heated?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Iv already posted a few times about the heating system in my house which I bought this year but now we are in winter and the heating is on a lot a have another question I'm hoping someone can help with .

The system I have is a 16 year old baxi standard boiler and a hot water cylinder . The way the system works is the hot water can be heated on its own independent of the central heating system but whenever the central heating is on the hot water heating is also on. The problem is that my wife is home all day with my infant daughter and we have found that the ground floor of the house seems to get particularly cold and is also slow to heat up so the heating is on for very extended periods all day. There is no thermostat on the cylinder so this is also constantly getting heated. I'm assuming that this can't be good for the system? The hot water is absolutely boiling when we run it, to the point it would scold your hands if you put them under it .

What I'm wondering is if there is an easy way to fix this , I know I could put a thermostat in and I assume wire it to an isolator/switch which would cut the heating when it reaches temperature? I have been told this is expensive however . I am already considering putting in a whole new combi system in the new year so going to a fairly large expense for a few months seems pointless . I'm wondering if there's a way to just swap out the existing switching mechanism so that the central heating can be run independently? Or even a way the temperature of the cylinder could be limited through the boiler?

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
Not without fitting another 2 port valve or slightly cheaper alternative a tapstat, either way its a drain down so its going to cost either way.

you could always turn the boiler stat down.

A cylinder thermostat will be a whole lot less expensive than burning gas unnecessarily. You need a Honeywell Sundial Pack 3 or similar, and possibly a zone valve installing. If you have more than one bathroom, a combi isn't the way to go

Thanks for the replies

Muggles , that honeywell pack looks absolutely ideal as it seems the cylinder stat just presses against the tank so doesn't need drilling. That would be ideal for me but I suppose I would still have to install some sort of valve to allow the system to stop heating the cylinder but keep heating the rads.

Picasso, I was wondering if there would be a stat on the boiler itself, I have not opened it up yet as the terminals are right behind you cover plate so I'll have to power it down 1st , not a big deal but just not done it yet. I suppose the problem with this is reducing the boiler stat will reduce the temperature of the rads . In terms of the combi , I got a really good price for replacing the whole system , I did ask about just replacing with a new like for like system nut was told it would be much more expensive. If this was a home forever I wouldn't mind paying the extra but I hope to only be here for a couple of years .

Sponsored Links
If the Baxi is the same sort as mine it requires at least one heat sink (radiator or cylinder) to be permanently in circuit for heat overrun. So just putting a 2 port valve and a cylinder stat in might be a bit iffy.....

Fitting Thermo Rad Valves on the upstairs rads will help regulate the room temp including heat rising from downstairs and may encourage the ground floor to become warmer. They will be required anyway when you have a new system.

In terms of the combi , I got a really good price for replacing the whole system , I .

I wonder of we will be hearing from you again, in due course......................................

If you're only staying there a couple of years there's absolutely no sense whatsoever in replacing a working boiler. Let the next owners do it, and just upgrade the controls to a point where you're happy with them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back