Central Heating problem.

And do I have to open up the motorised valve to check whether the wires are live or not?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

This is what I have at the moment:

MotorisedValveRadiator2TN.jpg

Do I open up the black box (this is where all the wiring goes into)?

Sponsored Links
I don't seem to have this wiring centre.

What I have is the time-switch/programmer, which is where all the cables lead to.

I have posted a video to show you what I have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kiSgBlpDB8

I can take readings by stripping a little bit of the wire sheath that leads to the valve motor.

If I remove the programmer, everything stops working.

doesnt the motorised valve just do what its told, theres no feed back is there... so by setting the valve to manual, doesnt that rule out the valve?

i would say its either the room stat or the timer.

room stat makes a curcuit, which calls for heat, opens valve, runs pump, boiler fires.

The room stat is "clicking" fine. It also lights up, as normal, when the timer is powered up.

If there is no feedback from the motor valve to the boiler, then it can't be the motor valve.

If however, there is feedback from the motor valve to the boilder, this would explain why the boiler isnt firing up when the centra heating system is switched on.

Normally, when I switch on the central heating, I can hear the valve motor turn the valve. Right now, this is not happening.

doesnt the motorised valve just do what its told, theres no feed back is there... so by setting the valve to manual, doesnt that rule out the valve?

room stat makes a curcuit, which calls for heat, opens valve, runs pump, boiler fires.

wrong the valve open to heating only operates a micro switch which sends power down the orange for sw/l to the boiler.

motor fails - micro switch don't operate - no boiler firing up.

its a valve issue either the motor has failed or the micro switch.

Normally, when I switch on the central heating, I can hear the valve motor turn the valve. Right now, this is not happening.

thats because you have a problem with the central heating side.

if it was me and i want the heating on, i would take off the cylinder stat, turn that up the get the rads on. then get someone in to have a look.

and i say 'if it was me'

wrong the valve open to heating only operates a micro switch which sends power down the orange for sw/l to the boiler.

motor fails - micro switch don't operate - no boiler firing up.

its a valve issue either the motor has failed or the micro switch.

i stand corrected...thank you.

The room stat is "clicking" fine. It also lights up, as normal, when the timer is powered up.

ok
If there is no feedback from the motor valve to the boiler, then it can't be the motor valve.
yes it can the motors not operating the valve to activate the micro switch.
If however, there is feedback from the motor valve to the boilder, this would explain why the boiler isnt firing up when the centra heating system is switched on.
how would it.
you've answered your own question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back