Hot water & central heating problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me as i have hit a brick wall!
I've just installed a new Salus control pack to my existing heating system (which is old). The pack is made up with a R200 room stat, CT100 cylinder stat, MV322 motorised valve and a EP200 programmer. I have followed the wiring diagram to a tee and i have checked and re-checked its correct. When its powered up and i ask for hot water eveything sounds if its doing what it should be but the boiler doesn't fire up. The pump then gets extremely hot. When i ask for central heating again everything sounds if its clicking into place but again the boiler doesn't fire up. Any ideas please as i have no heating or hot water?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tony, the most obvious thing to check is that there is water in the system. If so why is the pump getting so hot? Is the pipework each side of the pump also hot? I think not!

So bleed air from the pipework high points, and from the pump. Check the pump rotates freely (could it be seized?) Is there a noise of rushing water when the pump starts?

Followed the instructions? Read them again...are there links to add to the connection box? Is there a "HW OFF" wire which may not have been included in the original system if it was gravity HW.

Post back with the answers and we'll go from there.

MM

Meldrews mate,

Thanks for that. Yep you are absolutely right the pipework either side of the pump is not hot. When the pump starts there is no sound of rushing water. I have opened all the local isolation valves and i have water to my bathroom and kitchen so i assumed that there was water in the system. The pump shouldn't be seized as it worked before i installed the new control pack. As for bleeding where do i start? do i crack the nuts at either side of the pump? and where do i bleed the pipework?

Yeah there is a "HW OFF" wire which is linked to the HW SAT wire on the motorised valve which i have follwed the diagram.

What is meant by gravity HW?

Thanks again

See the FAQ to find out how to spin the pump to free it up.

Whatever you think about your pump the plain fact is that it is NOT turning and has to be sorted out if you want any heating or hot water.

10 minute job to find FAQ and then three minutes to free it up!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony, understood thanks

Firstly i have bleed the system and it did have a bit of air in. I turned on the hot water on the controller and the boiler fired up and run. The pump got warm and the pipes either side of the pump are hot. The boiler shut down after a couple of minutes. I tried the central heating and the boiler wouldn't fire up. I tried the hot water and the boiler wouldn't fire up again. The pump is now hot but so are the pipes either side. Do you still think the pump is stuck?

Cheers

Ok then pump has cooled so i have checked it anyway and it seems to be turning fine. No resistence at all. So i have tried the hot water again and the boiler wont fire up. Tried the central heating and again th boiler won't fire up

I have no idea what is happening!!

Did it stop working immediately after you fitted the new controller???

Tony

No, when i first installed the controller and powered up i requested hot water and the boiler fired up which i thought jobs a good one. Famous last words. Then boiler shut down after a few minutes. I have noticed that if i leave it powered off for a while and then turn on the boiler fires up the pump and pipes get hot then the boiler turns off. The pump and pipes stay hot but no hot water. I have traced the pipes through the pump into the boiler which are hot. The pipe comes out of the other side of the boiler which is hot but half up before going into the loft the pipe is cold???????

The pump and pipes are mega hot so i decided to drain everything down again and take out the pump to have a look.

The thing that is puzzling me now is i have drained the system from the radiator in the kitchen and the first bowl full of water was cold. The second, third and fourth were hot!!!!! I am totally confused now.

i do not know whether to take the pump out now to have a look.. I do know the miss's will kill me when she gets home from work though :LOL:

Please stop draining anything that will only cause more problems!

It sounds to me as if the pump is stopping when it gets hot.

Get a listening stick and learn what it sounds like when its turning.

Run the heating and see what the pump does.

In the extreme you can remove the screw and see if the shart is turning.

Tony

Ok.

I have turned on the heating, the room stat has clicked, the motorised valve has adjusted and the boiler has fired up. I have listened to the pump and there is a quiet vibration/buzzing sound i cannot tell if anything is turning inside the pump.

I have bled all rads and air vent near cylinder and turned on the controller for hot water. The boiler fired up straight away and the pump began to have a humming sound. The boiler shut down after a couple of minutes and the pump carried on humming. The pump then got very hot and there was a burning like smell.

Is the pump shot and do i need a new one?

Thanks everyone for your help but i don't know what else to do apart from get an engineer out but i don't want to be defeated...... :cry:

just cringed at the sight of the word SALUS CONTROL PACKAGE i've been having and still having nightmares with the stuff,when filling a system with zone valves dont you set them to manual to fill the system up? is the water boiling back up into the f&e tank? is there any watrer in the f&e tank? i had a similar thing 1 time and found that the by-pass had broken in the open position so the bloody thing was just flowing round the by-pass circuit......easiest route

A humming or buzzing pump is usually one that is seized up.

They can often be freed by turning the shaft, see FAQ.

Caused by dirt in the system!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back